arack Obama is one of those arrogrant overacheivers we all remember too well from our days in school, says P.J. O'Rourke in the Weekly Standard. You know, the apple-polishing straight-A student who always is sure he has the right answer:
"Barack Obama is more irritating than the other nuisances on the left. Nancy Pelosi needs a session on the ducking stool, of course. But everyone with an ugly divorce has had a Nancy. She’s vexatious and expensive to get rid of, but it’s not like we give a damn about her. Harry Reid is going house-to-house selling nothing anybody wants. Slam the door on him and the neighbor’s Rottweiler will do the rest.
"The secret to the Obama annoyance is snotty lecturing. His tone of voice sends us back to the worst place in college. We sit once more packed into the vast, dreary confines of a freshman survey course—'Rocks for Jocks,' 'Nuts and Sluts,' 'Darkness at Noon.' At the lectern is a twerp of a grad student—the prototypical A student—insecure, overbearing, full of himself and contempt for his students. [...]
America has made the mistake of letting the A student run things."
- Diagnosing the Home Alone burglars' injuries: A professional weighs in
- Which professions have the most psychopaths?
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- What makes a word the word of the year?
- What to expect when you're expecting (100 years ago)
- 7 health benefits of playing video games
- There is a better alternative to raising the minimum wage
- The executioners' lament
- 10 things you need to know today: December 8, 2013
- China's massive pollution problem
Subscribe to the Week