n embarrassing microphone mishap may have sunk British Prime Minister's chances of winning next month's general election. Moments after speaking to Labour voter Gillian Duffy on the street, the prime minister was caught on tape calling her a "bigoted woman," apparently in response to her views on Eastern European immigrants. Brown, leader of the Labour party, has since apologized to Duffy. Sorry, too late, says Benedict Brogan at the Daily Telegraph: "[This] might finish off Mr. Brown altogether. He’s just insulted a 66-year-old widow without cause." Can we all just calm down, asks Mehdi Hasan in the New Statesman, and remember that the P.M. has survived bigger disasters. "Public opinion is not the same as pundit opinion." Watch Brown's indiscretion here:
- 10 things you need to know today: December 7, 2013
- There is a better alternative to raising the minimum wage
- How the strange case of Obama's Uncle Omar complicates immigration reform
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- Watch The Daily Show use Pope Francis to hammer Fox Business pundits
- How I cut my family's budget by $1,000
- Is Biden helping or hurting U.S. interests in Asia?
- 32 TV shows to watch in 2013 [Updated]
- Are Democrats backing the GOP into another government shutdown?
- Ryan Seacrest invested $1 million to transform your iPhone into a BlackBerry
Subscribe to the Week