as talk-show powerhouse Oprah Winfrey just switched her loyalty in the e-reader wars? Winfrey, who helped launch Amazon's Kindle with an early endorsement, gushed over Apple's iPad on a recent episode of her show — singling out an app that lets the iPad mimic the Kindle: "You can take all the books from your Kindle and put them on your iPad." A spokesperson later clarified later that Winfrey uses both devices. If history is any guide, a rave from Oprah (whose book club is a publishing phenomenon) will boost iPad sales, but Amazon executives aren't worried, saying they welcome any device that drives sales at Amazon.com. Watch Oprah exult over the iPad:
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why is American internet so slow?
- 7 ways to be the most interesting person in any room
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Colorado’s new ‘drive high, get a DUI’ commercials are actually pretty clever
- What the collapse of the Ming Dynasty can tell us about American decline
- 22 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Who are the real gay marriage bigots?
- Don't worry: World War III will almost certainly never happen
- Ukraine's fraught relationship with Russia: A brief history
- Sorry Belle Knox, porn still oppresses women
Subscribe to the Week