Has talk-show powerhouse Oprah Winfrey just switched her loyalty in the e-reader wars? Winfrey, who helped launch Amazon's Kindle with an early endorsement, gushed over Apple's iPad on a recent episode of her show — singling out an app that lets the iPad mimic the Kindle: "You can take all the books from your Kindle and put them on your iPad." A spokesperson later clarified later that Winfrey uses both devices. If history is any guide, a rave from Oprah (whose book club is a publishing phenomenon) will boost iPad sales, but Amazon executives aren't worried, saying they welcome any device that drives sales at Amazon.com. Watch Oprah exult over the iPad:
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why Mitt Romney is perfectly poised for a comeback in 2016
- 8 secrets to steal from power networkers
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- The Nazi smart bomb that inspired China's most dangerous weapon
- Why is the West so afraid of Islam?
- Game of Thrones is making a huge mistake by cutting Lady Stoneheart
- Here's the schedule very successful people follow every day
- The best places to find love — and lust — according to science
- How to make classic pulled pork
- How The Killing survived two cancellations and ended on its own terms
Subscribe to the Week