Has talk-show powerhouse Oprah Winfrey just switched her loyalty in the e-reader wars? Winfrey, who helped launch Amazon's Kindle with an early endorsement, gushed over Apple's iPad on a recent episode of her show — singling out an app that lets the iPad mimic the Kindle: "You can take all the books from your Kindle and put them on your iPad." A spokesperson later clarified later that Winfrey uses both devices. If history is any guide, a rave from Oprah (whose book club is a publishing phenomenon) will boost iPad sales, but Amazon executives aren't worried, saying they welcome any device that drives sales at Amazon.com. Watch Oprah exult over the iPad:
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why you shouldn't eat dog. Not even once.
- How U.S. special forces are preparing for the worst-case scenario in North Korea
- I hate Ayn Rand — but here's why my fellow conservatives love her
- Here's the schedule very successful people follow every day
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- The danger of the Democrats' lack of desperation
- How social conservatives became a minority in need of protection
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- Hey, Paul Ryan's new poverty plan isn't completely terrible!
- The best online movies to watch this weekend
Subscribe to the Week