as talk-show powerhouse Oprah Winfrey just switched her loyalty in the e-reader wars? Winfrey, who helped launch Amazon's Kindle with an early endorsement, gushed over Apple's iPad on a recent episode of her show — singling out an app that lets the iPad mimic the Kindle: "You can take all the books from your Kindle and put them on your iPad." A spokesperson later clarified later that Winfrey uses both devices. If history is any guide, a rave from Oprah (whose book club is a publishing phenomenon) will boost iPad sales, but Amazon executives aren't worried, saying they welcome any device that drives sales at Amazon.com. Watch Oprah exult over the iPad:
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why I'm a pro-life liberal
- If a nuclear bomb exploded in downtown Washington, what should you do?
- He said he was leaving. She ignored him.
- 31 TV shows to watch in 2014
- How to make homemade marshmallow Peeps
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Can these 4 couples really afford their dream houses?
- 10 things you need to know today: April 16, 2014
- How to be more satisfied with your life, according to science
- There's a number of reasons the grammar of this headline could infuriate you
Subscribe to the Week