Results: After G.E. made a $10.8 billion profit but managed not to pay a single cent in U.S. income taxes, it seemed time to give them a new slogan. You lit in with:
FIRST PRIZE: We Bring Good Things To Us!
Denny Svitek, Eighty Four, PA
SECOND PLACE: Imagination at Work (In Our Accounting Department)
Bethany Wheeling, Finksburg, MD
THIRD PLACE: Illumination Without Taxation
Debi Hanuscin, Coumbia, MA
How many light bulbs does it take to screw a taxpayer?
Virginia Wilkins, Lakewood, CO
Profit is Our Most Important Product
Carl Powers, Gold River, CA
Reducing our carbon footprint by writing fewer checks
Larry Emsweller, Munster, IN
Just another “Bright Idea”
Shirley Burt, Pine Island, MN
Lighting Homes and Cooking Books
Tom Hill, Portland, OR
We make money so you don’t have to
Cydney Langford, LaVergne, TN
Better Living Through Chicanery
Jim Bradt, Clayton, CA
Making tomorrow’s deficit today
Paul Brown, Miami
We support smaller government
Tom Duffey, Fort Myers, FL
We evade taxes and pass the savings on to you!
Tim Lanter, Alexandria, KY
We’re going green!
Gail Watts, Glendale, AZ
Now all that’s inevitable is death
Philip White, Flushing, NY
Max Legg, Sedro Woolley, WA
Our engineers work as hard as our accountants
Adam Kupec, Pittsburgh
When it comes to paying taxes, we’re number none
Wayne D. Kerr, La Crescenta, CA
We have some of the brightest bulbs in the world…in accounting
Lori Allenbaugh, Bayfield, CO
Magic at Work
Jeff Staser, Anchorage
Bryan McGrath, Wakefield, MA
GEe, we forgot
John Stinson, Springfield, MO
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Syrian women know how to defeat ISIS
- The U.S. Marines are developing laser weapons. Here's why.
- Will Kobani be ISIS's Waterloo?
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- The one thing the New Atheists get right about religion
- The case for voting (even if America is a corrupt plutocracy rigged by the rich)
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- 3 horrific inaccuracies in Homeland's depiction of Islamabad
- Why the Supreme Court is allowing Texas to hold an unconstitutional election
- Paul Krugman, Amazon, and the left's backwards view of book-industry titans
Subscribe to the Week