enate Democrats have unveiled a "framework" for comprehensive immigration reform, increasing funding for border security and providing a path for those already in the country illegally to obtain legal status. House Majority Leader Harry Reid urged Republicans, who unanimously oppose the plan, to "work with us to fix this broken system — don't just say no." But House GOP leader John Boehner said the proposal was just a "cynical ploy" to win Hispanic votes. Is he right? (Watch the Democratic senators announce the "framework" for immigration reform)
This is pure, cynical politics: There is "no earthly reason" to push comprehensive reform instead of plugging our porous borders first, says Allahpundit in Hot Air. Even Lindsey "Grahamnesty" Graham, the only Republican who was negotiating with Democrats on immigration, says so. This has no chance of passing — it's pure, "cynical" politics.
"Reid’s immigration bill: Illegals eligible for amnesty in eight years"
As amnesty goes, this isn't overly generous: This is hardly the amnesty bonanza the right makes it out to be, says Doug Mataconis in Below the Beltway. The nation's 10.8 million illegal immigrants would have to learn English, pay taxes, commit no crimes to be eligible for legal status in eight years. That "strikes me as a fair compromise to a problem that has to be solved."
"Senate Democrats ready to unveil immigration reform plan"
Like it or not, the immigration debate is on: Even President Obama is acknowledging comprehensive immigration reform won't pass this year, says Greg Sargent in The Plum Line. But Democrats didn't start this fight — it is Arizona's tough new immigration law that "forcing the issue to the forefront of the national conversation."
"Immigration reform may not pass this year, but it’s front and center"
Reader Poll: What's your opinion on the timing of the Democrats' immigration plan? Vote now
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Here's proof that Justin Bieber is just as spoiled as you always thought
- Why is it so expensive to build a bridge in America?
- What the collapse of the Ming Dynasty can tell us about American decline
- 7 ways to be the most interesting person in any room
- The GOP must try to win over African-Americans
- 22 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Why I'm sick and tired of seeing naked women on HBO
- Why is American internet so slow?
Subscribe to the Week