Facebook spokesman Andrew Noyes says the anti-Obama group, though "distasteful and objectionable to some," hasn't broken the site's rules. That's debatable, says Michael Tomasky in the Guardian. "Free speech has never included shouting 'fire!' in a theater," he says, "and it shouldn't include wishing death on any public figure, let alone the president." Fine, says blogger Trench Reynolds in TheTrenchCoat.com. But "would those of you who are demanding the removal of this Facebook group have done the same" if it were directed at George W. Bush? "Just askin'." Watch a report about the group:
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- The science of sex: 4 harsh truths about dating and mating
- How our botched understanding of 'science' ruins everything
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- 13 Urban Outfitters controversies
- How to be the star of a cocktail party where you don't know anyone
- Why so many Christians won't back down on gay marriage
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Russia is stealthily threatening America with nuclear war
Subscribe to the Week