Facebook spokesman Andrew Noyes says the anti-Obama group, though "distasteful and objectionable to some," hasn't broken the site's rules. That's debatable, says Michael Tomasky in the Guardian. "Free speech has never included shouting 'fire!' in a theater," he says, "and it shouldn't include wishing death on any public figure, let alone the president." Fine, says blogger Trench Reynolds in TheTrenchCoat.com. But "would those of you who are demanding the removal of this Facebook group have done the same" if it were directed at George W. Bush? "Just askin'." Watch a report about the group:
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- The U.S. is about to sell weapons to Vietnam. That's bad news for China.
- Why is the Pentagon stuffing caves in Norway full of tanks?
- What the Middle Ages can tell us about the GOP's big charity myth
- An open letter to #brands about Gamergate
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Did the media get Ferguson wrong?
- The most sensible GOP alternative to ObamaCare comes from a Senate candidate who is almost sure to lose
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- 'Having it all' has officially jumped the shark
- Did Republicans overshoot on the Ebola panic?
Subscribe to the Week