Facebook spokesman Andrew Noyes says the anti-Obama group, though "distasteful and objectionable to some," hasn't broken the site's rules. That's debatable, says Michael Tomasky in the Guardian. "Free speech has never included shouting 'fire!' in a theater," he says, "and it shouldn't include wishing death on any public figure, let alone the president." Fine, says blogger Trench Reynolds in TheTrenchCoat.com. But "would those of you who are demanding the removal of this Facebook group have done the same" if it were directed at George W. Bush? "Just askin'." Watch a report about the group:
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 7 ways to be the most interesting person in any room
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Colorado’s new ‘drive high, get a DUI’ commercials are actually pretty clever
- Sorry Belle Knox, porn still oppresses women
- What the collapse of the Ming Dynasty can tell us about American decline
- 22 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Who are the real gay marriage bigots?
- Religious liberty should be a liberal value, too
- Why is American internet so slow?
- Don't worry: World War III will almost certainly never happen
Subscribe to the Week