Facebook spokesman Andrew Noyes says the anti-Obama group, though "distasteful and objectionable to some," hasn't broken the site's rules. That's debatable, says Michael Tomasky in the Guardian. "Free speech has never included shouting 'fire!' in a theater," he says, "and it shouldn't include wishing death on any public figure, let alone the president." Fine, says blogger Trench Reynolds in TheTrenchCoat.com. But "would those of you who are demanding the removal of this Facebook group have done the same" if it were directed at George W. Bush? "Just askin'." Watch a report about the group:
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- How Ronald Reagan turned America into a nation of children
- 10 things you need to know today: August 1, 2014
- Why Mitt Romney is perfectly poised for a comeback in 2016
- 8 secrets to steal from power networkers
- Why is the West so afraid of Islam?
- The Nazi smart bomb that inspired China's most dangerous weapon
- How to make classic pulled pork
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Why scientists can't kill HIV
Subscribe to the Week