ust days after ditching the GOP to launch an independent Senate bid, Charlie Crist is shaking up the political world again. On NBC's "Meet the Press" Sunday, Florida's governor said he might caucus with the Democrats if he wins the race: "You have to go with your gut and with your heart." The remarks earned criticism from Marco Rubio, Crist's erstwhile rival for the Republican nomination — who says it's clear Crist changes direction "based upon what the polling tells him" — and from Hot Air's Ed Morrissey. "How many independents does [Crist] think he’ll win by assuring them that he’ll vote to maintain the status quo...Crist has become a Party of One, trying to join a Caucus of One." Maybe, says Lesley Clark of McClatchy Newspapers, but Crist's gamble will work if he wins and both parties desperately court his vote. Watch an excerpt from Crist's "Meet the Press" interview below:
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Who are the real gay marriage bigots?
- Why is American internet so slow?
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Religious liberty should be a liberal value, too
- How to take the perfect profile picture for online dating, according to science
- Don't worry: World War III will almost certainly never happen
- What the collapse of the Ming Dynasty can tell us about American decline
- Watch The Daily Show mock Fox News' confused man-crush on Vladimir Putin
- The one simple thing that can make you much more impressive
- The Daily Show's Aasif Mandvi dismantles another ObamaCare myth
Subscribe to the Week