The media is abuzz about George Rekers, the Christian leader and anti-gay activist who's claiming he took a male escort on a 10-day vacation as a combination luggage assistant and research subject ("I deliberately spend time with sinners with the loving goal to try to help them," said the Baptist minister via Facebook). Rekers is the same man, notes Dan Savage in the Portland, Ore., Mercury, who was paid $87,000 to testify against gay adoption in Florida. He clearly "believes that gay people shouldn't be allowed to adopt boys. Only rent them."
Today, a group called Californians Against Hate formally asked the Justice Department to investigate Rekers and the conservative group Family Research Council he co-founded in 1988 with James Dobson: "With so many problems around the close associates of ... Dobson and Tony Perkins, we need to know the truth." Meanwhile, Comedy Central's Stephen Colbert took Rekers to task for "publicly condemning man love while privately being man's best friend"—with the help of a topless cameraman. Watch the clip:
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- How U.S. special forces are preparing for the worst-case scenario in North Korea
- I hate Ayn Rand — but here's why my fellow conservatives love her
- Here's the schedule very successful people follow every day
- The 11 worst fast food restaurants in America
- Hey, Paul Ryan's new poverty plan isn't completely terrible!
- Deficit scolds are the most crazed ideologues in America
- The disturbing lessons of Arizona's un-American execution
- The weird obsession that's ruining the GOP
- The secret to Gabrielle Hamilton's amazing grilled cheese sandwiches
- 7 language habits that reveal your age
Subscribe to the Week