eventeen-year-old Miley Cyrus, who caught the world's attention as the tween star of Disney's "Hannah Montana" franchise, debuted a "racy" new music video this week for her single "Can't Be Tamed." The video features Cyrus, wearing a skimpy "S&M outfit" and gyrating around a pole in a giant bird cage. While she tells E! Online that "the video isn't about being sexy or about who can wear less clothes," some critics are saying all this goes a bit too far. Isn't Cyrus "a little young" to be sporting such a "very grown up" look? asks the Daily Mail. Oh, don't be such a prude, says Mary Elizabeth Williams in Salon. She's becoming an adult, "and it's natural that Cyrus would be expressing that in her work." That's not to say it's good — but still. Watch "Can't Be Tamed" below:
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Mad Men recap: 'A Day's Work'
- The sexual politics of Game of Thrones just got enormously worse
- 31 TV shows to watch in 2014
- 10 things you need to know today: April 21, 2014
- Aereo at the Supreme Court: No matter what, broadcasters lose
- He said he was leaving. She ignored him.
- Why atheism doesn't have the upper hand over religion
- The case for killing law school
- Wounded in Boston, two brothers endure
- The hidden reason for the student loan crisis
Subscribe to the Week