he following was posted on George Rekers' website ProfessorGeorge.com on May 5:
"A recent article in an alternative newspaper cleverly gave false impressions of inappropriate behavior because of its misleading innuendo, incorrectly implying that Professor George Rekers used the Rentboy website to hire a prostitute to accompany him on a recent trip. Contrary to Internet stories based on this slanderous article, following medical advice Professor George Rekers requires an assistant to lift his luggage in his travels because of an ongoing condition following surgery. His family, local friends, and even another university professor colleague have offered to accompany him on trips to assist him in his travel. Dr. Rekers found his recent travel assistant by interviewing different people who might be able to help, and did not even find out about his travel assistant’s Internet advertisements offering prostitution activity until after the trip was in progress. There was nothing inappropriate with this relationship. Professor Rekers was not involved in any illegal or sexual behavior with his travel assistant."
The statement includes an addendum: "Read what Professor George shared with his travel assistant about the Christian faith here"
- 6 photos that Facebook controversially banned
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- Is it possible to live forever?
- 5 books to read before your 30th birthday
- Which professions have the most psychopaths?
- China's massive pollution problem
- The indignity of canine bath time
- 32 TV shows to watch in 2013 [Updated]
- No, Obama doesn't have to fire everybody in the White House
- What to expect when you're expecting (100 years ago)
Subscribe to the Week