A group of 7-year-old girls is generating controversy after its competitive dance performance of Beyoncé's "Single Ladies (Put a Ring on It)" flooded the blogosphere. "Even Beyoncé and her backup dancers were more covered up than this," says an "uncomfortable" Kate Ward at Entertainment Weekly, while a blogger at Babble's Famecrawler blog notes the children's parents' "bad choices," and recalls that Beyoncé herself has called her influence on young girls "scary." But some point out that the girls' seemingly lingerie-inspired costumes are par for the course: "If you've been to a kids' dance recital or competition recently," says ParentDish, you'll see similar outfits, and they're not considered "shocking or provocative." Here's the clip:
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- The science of sex: 4 harsh truths about dating and mating
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- How our botched understanding of 'science' ruins everything
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- Why does Fareed Zakaria still have a job?
- 4 simple steaks you can cook in a pan
- Save the world... by changing how you pee
- Does solar energy have a battery problem?
- How U2 became the new Nickelback
Subscribe to the Week