A group of 7-year-old girls is generating controversy after its competitive dance performance of Beyoncé's "Single Ladies (Put a Ring on It)" flooded the blogosphere. "Even Beyoncé and her backup dancers were more covered up than this," says an "uncomfortable" Kate Ward at Entertainment Weekly, while a blogger at Babble's Famecrawler blog notes the children's parents' "bad choices," and recalls that Beyoncé herself has called her influence on young girls "scary." But some point out that the girls' seemingly lingerie-inspired costumes are par for the course: "If you've been to a kids' dance recital or competition recently," says ParentDish, you'll see similar outfits, and they're not considered "shocking or provocative." Here's the clip:
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Republicans love this new health care plan. Too bad it's basically a tax cut for the rich.
- In Ferguson, Michael Brown lost his life — and America's police lost the benefit of the doubt
- In defense of Gwyneth Paltrow
- Is it now OK to have sex with animals?
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- 17 old proverbs we should use more often
- 8 tricks to surviving the holidays without gaining weight or being grouchy
- Don't blame Chuck Hagel: Obama's foreign policy has been a disaster from end to end
- Chuck Hagel was a huge mistake
Subscribe to the Week