For all the articles being written about the disastrous oil spill in the Gulf of Mexico, there is still relatively little detail available about the situation on the shoreline, where waves laden with crude oil are lapping against beaches and marshland. Perhaps, suggests Mac McClelland in Mother Jones, that's because BP is making sure that even though it can't seem to plug up the oil leak, it can stem the flow of damaging news stories emerging from the Gulf coast:
"It's Saturday, May 22nd, a month into the BP spill, and I've been trying to get to Elmer's Island for the past two days. I've been stymied at every turn by Jefferson Parish sheriff's deputies brought in to supplement the local police force of Grand Isle, a 300-year-old settlement here at the very southern tip of Louisiana.
When I tell [BP representative] Barbara [Martin] I am a reporter, she stalks off and says she's not talking to me, then comes back and hugs me and says she was just playing. I tell her I don't understand why I can't see Elmer's Island unless I'm escorted by BP. She tells me BP's in charge because 'it's BP's oil.'
'But it's not BP's land.'
'But BP's liable if anything happens.'
'So you're saying it's a safety precaution.'
'Yeah! You don't want that oil gettin' into your pores.'
'But there are tourists and residents walking around in it across the street.'
'The mayor decides which beaches are closed.' So I call the Grand Isle police requesting a press liason, only to get routed to voicemail for 'Melanie' with BP. I call the police back and ask why they gave me a number for BP; they blame the fire chief.
I reach the fire chief. 'Why did the police give me a number for BP?' I ask.
'That's the number they gave us.'
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Want to eliminate the scourge of frat culture? Lower the drinking age.
- Obama just kneecapped Jeb Bush and Chris Christie's 2016 prospects
- Chuck Hagel was a huge mistake
- A brief history of the Guy Fawkes mask
- 5 quick things you can do today to boost your creativity
- Yes, the Obama administration's green loans are unprofitable. They should be.
- What would it take for humans to build a settlement on Mars?
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- House hunting: 7 stunning castles in Europe
Subscribe to the Week