hile Lindsay Lohan has shown poor taste in bling, none has been less attractive than her latest accessory — a SCRAM (Secure Continuous Remote Alcohol Monitor) bracelet, which a Los Angeles Superior Court Judge ordered the "stone-faced" starlet to wear for violating probation on a 2007 drunken-driving charge. (Watch Michael Lohan insist Lindsay's headed "in the right direction.") Though Lohan's lawyer protested that the unsightly, ankle-mounted device (which measures alcohol use through perspiration) might compromise Lohan's upcoming photo and film shoots, she's hardly being singled out for unusual punishment. Here's a short list of other SCRAM-sentenced celebs:
The 30 Rock star endured two separate stints with a SCRAM device during 2007 after racking up successive DUIs. He wore it while hosting the Guys Choice Awards for Spike TV and later mocked himself during an episode of his NBC sitcom, when his similarly SCRAM-encumbered character misses a holiday party.
The former Lost star was less chipper about wearing a SCRAM in 2007, denouncing it as a "VCR dog tag." Once free of it, she managed to sublimate her frustration with a bit of performance art — wearing a fake SCRAM labelled "Orwell" to a Marc Jacobs fashion show in New York.
While edgy "Rocker Girl" is one of the standard contestant pigeonholes on American Idol, Wynne-Hughes, a finalist in last year's contest, was ultimately too edgy. The scarlet-haired singer, ordered to wear a SCRAM bracelet, did not make it past the Hollywood round.
The rap star wore a SCRAM bracelet for 5 months after a DUI arrest in 2007. The first thing she did after having it removed? Celebrate with a drink.
The flamboyantly doomed comedian was ordered to wear a SCRAM device for a full year after being arrested for a cocktail of felonies in October 2008. The heavily intoxicated funnyman was hauled in by cops after pulling off a 17-year-old's top outside a Murrieta, Calif., bar, and possessing marijuana and Xanax.
- Which professions have the most psychopaths?
- Diagnosing the Home Alone burglars' injuries: A professional weighs in
- 'Tis the season for having sex with old flames and ruining your office reputation
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- 32 TV shows to watch in 2013 [Updated]
- 10 things you need to know today: December 8, 2013
- 6 grammar points to watch out for in Christmas songs
- What makes a word the word of the year?
- This is how much extra it costs to eat healthy every day
- 7 health benefits of playing video games
Subscribe to the Week