n a "scathing" new campaign commercial, Sen. John McCain takes his primary opponent J.D. Hayworth to task for his fuzzy understanding of U.S. history, calling the former Congressman one of America's "dumbest" politicians. The vintage newsreel-style ad features Hayworth's recent proclamation that, "The war that Dwight Eisenhower led in Europe against the Third Reich was never declared by the United States Congress." In fact, as the ad crisply points out, the U.S. declared war against Germany in December 1941, under President Franklin D. Roosevelt. Hayworth quickly shot back, accusing McCain of "shamelessly" using his error to distract from "real issues." Hayworth was obviously wrong, says Sean J. Miller in The Hill. But "with the primary still months away... this is unlikely to linger as an issue." Regardless, says Glynnis MacNicol in Mediaite, at least now we know that McCain can be "intentionally funny." Watch the ad:
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why are so many elderly Asians killing themselves?
- Why ABC threw its Bachelor under the bus
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like
- Why I'm sick and tired of seeing naked women on HBO
- Driverless cars may be an environmental disaster
- Why Ted Cruz is the real-life Frank Underwood
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Repealing ObamaCare would now mean kicking 4.2 million people off their new insurance plans
- Here's proof that Justin Bieber is just as spoiled as you always thought
- Watch Zach Galifianakis get annoyed at President Obama on Between Two Ferns
Subscribe to the Week