In a "scathing" new campaign commercial, Sen. John McCain takes his primary opponent J.D. Hayworth to task for his fuzzy understanding of U.S. history, calling the former Congressman one of America's "dumbest" politicians. The vintage newsreel-style ad features Hayworth's recent proclamation that, "The war that Dwight Eisenhower led in Europe against the Third Reich was never declared by the United States Congress." In fact, as the ad crisply points out, the U.S. declared war against Germany in December 1941, under President Franklin D. Roosevelt. Hayworth quickly shot back, accusing McCain of "shamelessly" using his error to distract from "real issues." Hayworth was obviously wrong, says Sean J. Miller in The Hill. But "with the primary still months away... this is unlikely to linger as an issue." Regardless, says Glynnis MacNicol in Mediaite, at least now we know that McCain can be "intentionally funny." Watch the ad:
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- The latent sexism of the male marriage proposal
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- This judge is the reason we're still fighting over net neutrality
- Why the poor can't catch a break on Thanksgiving
- After Ferguson: Stop deferring to the cops
- Is it now OK to have sex with animals?
- The hilarious hypocrisy of Republicans complaining about the imperial presidency
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- Ferguson riots were terrible — but this racist reaction was worse
- How to adopt the perfect rescue dog
Subscribe to the Week