In a "scathing" new campaign commercial, Sen. John McCain takes his primary opponent J.D. Hayworth to task for his fuzzy understanding of U.S. history, calling the former Congressman one of America's "dumbest" politicians. The vintage newsreel-style ad features Hayworth's recent proclamation that, "The war that Dwight Eisenhower led in Europe against the Third Reich was never declared by the United States Congress." In fact, as the ad crisply points out, the U.S. declared war against Germany in December 1941, under President Franklin D. Roosevelt. Hayworth quickly shot back, accusing McCain of "shamelessly" using his error to distract from "real issues." Hayworth was obviously wrong, says Sean J. Miller in The Hill. But "with the primary still months away... this is unlikely to linger as an issue." Regardless, says Glynnis MacNicol in Mediaite, at least now we know that McCain can be "intentionally funny." Watch the ad:
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- 10 things you need to know today: October 2, 2014
- Ted Cruz is the new Sarah Palin
- Watch out, China — America is working on dogfighting drones
- How liberals are unwittingly paving the way for the legalization of adult incest
- Why you probably don't have Ebola — even if you shook hands with America's 'patient zero'
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- Why I got married — without a wedding
- Libertarianism's terrible, horrible, no good, very bad idea
Subscribe to the Week