In a "scathing" new campaign commercial, Sen. John McCain takes his primary opponent J.D. Hayworth to task for his fuzzy understanding of U.S. history, calling the former Congressman one of America's "dumbest" politicians. The vintage newsreel-style ad features Hayworth's recent proclamation that, "The war that Dwight Eisenhower led in Europe against the Third Reich was never declared by the United States Congress." In fact, as the ad crisply points out, the U.S. declared war against Germany in December 1941, under President Franklin D. Roosevelt. Hayworth quickly shot back, accusing McCain of "shamelessly" using his error to distract from "real issues." Hayworth was obviously wrong, says Sean J. Miller in The Hill. But "with the primary still months away... this is unlikely to linger as an issue." Regardless, says Glynnis MacNicol in Mediaite, at least now we know that McCain can be "intentionally funny." Watch the ad:
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why you should stop believing in evolution
- 7 of the scariest spiders in existence
- 4 things NASA can teach you about a good night's sleep
- The secret to handling pressure like astronauts, Navy SEALs, and samurai
- Why isn't 'Arkansas' pronounced like 'Kansas'?
- It's time for the police to rethink 'shoot-to-kill'
- This 1,600-year-old Viking war game is still awesome
- How Israel's hawks intimidated and silenced the last remnants of the anti-war left
- Internet piracy isn't killing Hollywood
- Incheon: the next white elephant city
Subscribe to the Week