he proudly trashy cast of MTV's "Jersey Shore" rocketed to fame overnight — so why doesn't anyone want to follow in their footsteps? That's the question that had network producers scratching their heads last weekend, as a casting call for the next season of the show failed to round up even 100 muscle-bound, spandex-clad "Shore" hopefuls. Some posited that the warm weather and holiday weekend kept would-be revelers away. "The buff men and women who make up the 'Jersey Shore' demographic... party well into the morning, making an 11 a.m. appointment something of an uncertainty," says the New Jersey Star Ledger. Others theorized the democratic nature of an open call might deter so-called "line snobs." "Everyone's waiting for a personal invitation," said talent scout Josh Allouche. See video of the casting call here:
- 4 secret societies you probably don't know about
- Diagnosing the Home Alone burglars' injuries: A professional weighs in
- This is the twistiest tongue twister ever, says science
- The secrets of happy families
- Battle in a blizzard
- How to stick it to the poor: A congressional strategy
- Did God have a wife?
- Which professions have the most psychopaths?
- Why Newt Gingrich is getting flak for defending Nelson Mandela
- 7 health benefits of playing video games
Subscribe to the Week