Amid damaging allegations of an extramarital affair, Nikki Haley, the Tea Party pick in South Carolina's GOP gubernatorial primary, has released a new ad prominently featuring her husband. The TV spot makes an oblique reference to the scandal by noting "the dark side of our state's politics," before showing footage of Haley and her family strolling on the beach. It's "the equivalent of trotting out the candidate’s spouse at a post-scandal press conference in a show of solidarity between the married couple," says David Weigel at The Washington Post. But "there is no real scandal at this point; the allegations have yet to be proven." Still, Haley knows she "can't just stick [her] head in the sand and hide," says Liza Jones, a PR executive quoted in WYFF4.com. The only way to deal with this scandal is "address it head on." Ironically, Haley now has even more rumors to address — hours after the ad premiered, allegations of a second affair emerged, this time with a prominent lobbyist. She says both claims are false. Watch the ad here:
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Half the world's population lives in these 6 countries
- How a degree from Duke University dashed my dreams of buying a home
- This is why you can't trust the NSA. Ever.
- Innocent before proven guilty? The bizarre bipartisan rush to clear Rick Perry
- Why you should stop believing in evolution
- The real-life events that inspired Game of Thrones' Red Wedding
- What Keeping Up with the Kardashians can teach America about interracial marriage
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- This 1,600-year-old Viking war game is still awesome
- Welcome to the age of ambivalent feminism
Subscribe to the Week