Amid damaging allegations of an extramarital affair, Nikki Haley, the Tea Party pick in South Carolina's GOP gubernatorial primary, has released a new ad prominently featuring her husband. The TV spot makes an oblique reference to the scandal by noting "the dark side of our state's politics," before showing footage of Haley and her family strolling on the beach. It's "the equivalent of trotting out the candidate’s spouse at a post-scandal press conference in a show of solidarity between the married couple," says David Weigel at The Washington Post. But "there is no real scandal at this point; the allegations have yet to be proven." Still, Haley knows she "can't just stick [her] head in the sand and hide," says Liza Jones, a PR executive quoted in WYFF4.com. The only way to deal with this scandal is "address it head on." Ironically, Haley now has even more rumors to address — hours after the ad premiered, allegations of a second affair emerged, this time with a prominent lobbyist. She says both claims are false. Watch the ad here:
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- These 5 things will definitely happen after Obama moves on immigration
- 10 classic Sesame Street moments we wouldn't show today's kids
- What could happen if the Supreme Court rules against ObamaCare
- On immigration, Obama is flirting with tyranny
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Hillary Clinton needs to win big in 2016. Here's how she can do it.
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- 10 things you need to know today: November 20, 2014
- How neuroscience can help us understand political partisanship
- An ode to the great American road trip
Subscribe to the Week