Welcome to The Week's "What Next?" contest, an invitation to test your powers of imagination with challenges inspired by current events.
Results: We asked you to come up with a proverb or piece of advice that some graduate somewhere can expect to hear as they leave the safety of college for the real world.
FIRST PRIZE: Socialize risk, privatize profits.
Betty Henry, Berkeley, CA
SECOND PLACE: It’s not whether you win or lose, it’s how you play the blame game.
Lori Allenbaugh, Bayfield, CO
THIRD PLACE: Never let anyone photograph you naked.
Culah J. Pellegrini, Newton, MA
You can have anything you want. Except a job.
Bethany Wheeling, Finksburg, MD
Learn to eat more possum.
Bob Hagle, Erie, PA
Never buy anything with a handle on it.
H.L. Harwell, Wimberley, TX
Never, never, never participate in a reality show.
Marcia Cooley, Burlington, MA
We screwed up. Now it’s your turn.
Lori Volpe, Port Washington, NY
When the going gets tough… Aghhhh!!!!!
David Appleman, Tewksbury, MA
Everything changes, except the cliché “Everything changes.”
Todd S. Hyatt, Auburn, MA
Follow your dreams – unless you majored in philosophy.
Michael Slawski, Fairfax, VA
Don’t invest the money your family gives you today.
Noam Buechler, Dix Hills, NY
Maybe you can go home again.
Elizabeth Arnold, So. Portland, ME
The world’s a clunker. Here are the keys.
Leticia Lyford-Pike, Baltimore
Graduation is a big f***in’ deal.
Nila and Doug Mill, Elkton, MD
Strive to obtain what your grandparents strove to rise above.
Mark Severin, Puyallup, WA
Oh, the places you’ll owe!
Betsy Frasier, Atlanta
Become Time’s “Man of the Year” – But In A Good Way
Pat Herr, Naperville, IL
When all else fails, play dead.
Marilyn Anderson, West Des Moines, IA
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- What is Molly? Everything you need to know about the party drug
- America created the Islamic State of Iraq and Syria? Meet the ISIS 'truthers'
- The Obama era is over. The presidency continues.
- Russia's giant spy ship was a high-tech disaster waiting to happen
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- How American businessmen are ruining American business — and the U.S. economy
- How Harry Houdini escaped death
- How to stop misogynists from terrorizing the world of gamers
- 10 things you need to know today: September 2, 2014
- On ISIS, neocons and liberal hawks have a 'boy who cried wolf' problem
Subscribe to the Week