Miley Cyrus is in hot water with some of her fans after appearing to share a lesbian kiss with a backup dancer during a weekend TV performance in London. The 17-year-old Hannah Montana star promptly posted a note on her website, saying, "I promise you I did not kiss her," and said she hoped her fans weren't disappointed in her. But with her Disney TV role as Hannah Montana in its last season, Cyrus seems to be going out of her way to shed her wholesome reputation and project a more adult image. Even before the lesbian-kiss controversy, she was making headlines for her racy outfits, sky-high heels, and overtly sexual dance numbers. Is Cyrus losing control, or just growing up?
Miley's maturing like any normal teen: "The notion that Miley Cyrus owes it to us, forevermore, to remain frozen in time as a symbol of purity is hogwash," says Erin Blakeley at Babble. If she were headed off to college like a normal teen, "chances are" she'd "don a few short skirts," do some dirty dancing, or "make out with a girl." She's just asserting her independence — "that's what kids her age do."
"Miley Cyrus is growing up. So why are we mad about it?"
Miley's "new" schtick feels old: "This kind of stunt was boring when Adam Lambert did it last year," says Robert Stacy McCain at Hot Air. Doesn't Miley Cyrus know that America has already watched another former Disney star — Britney Spears — go from Mousketeer to "burnout baby-mama," and we're not impressed? If Cyrus wants to attract attention to her "post-Disney career," she'll have to do better than a faked lesbian kiss.
"Another Ex-Disney starlet goes slutty"
From a business standpoint, this is Miley's only option: "Cyrus is between a rock and a hard place," says Elisa Walker at The Chimes. As Hannah Montana comes to an end and her original fanbase matures, she risks "losing her relevance in Hollywood," like fellow fresh-faced teen idol Hilary Duff. "So yes, I think she is growing up too fast, but I think it’s a necessary evil if she is to have a career in show business."
"Is Miley Cyrus growing up too fast?"
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Did the media get Ferguson wrong?
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- What the Middle Ages can tell us about the GOP's big charity myth
- 3 horrific inaccuracies in Homeland's depiction of Islamabad
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- The U.S. is about to sell weapons to Vietnam. That's bad news for China.
- 10 things you need to know today: October 24, 2014
- America's anti-feminist mega-corporations' toxic disregard for women must stop
- Keira Knightley on Laggies, relationships, and surviving your 20s
- 10 self-sabotaging interview mistakes to avoid
Subscribe to the Week