Miley Cyrus is in hot water with some of her fans after appearing to share a lesbian kiss with a backup dancer during a weekend TV performance in London. The 17-year-old Hannah Montana star promptly posted a note on her website, saying, "I promise you I did not kiss her," and said she hoped her fans weren't disappointed in her. But with her Disney TV role as Hannah Montana in its last season, Cyrus seems to be going out of her way to shed her wholesome reputation and project a more adult image. Even before the lesbian-kiss controversy, she was making headlines for her racy outfits, sky-high heels, and overtly sexual dance numbers. Is Cyrus losing control, or just growing up?
Miley's maturing like any normal teen: "The notion that Miley Cyrus owes it to us, forevermore, to remain frozen in time as a symbol of purity is hogwash," says Erin Blakeley at Babble. If she were headed off to college like a normal teen, "chances are" she'd "don a few short skirts," do some dirty dancing, or "make out with a girl." She's just asserting her independence — "that's what kids her age do."
"Miley Cyrus is growing up. So why are we mad about it?"
Miley's "new" schtick feels old: "This kind of stunt was boring when Adam Lambert did it last year," says Robert Stacy McCain at Hot Air. Doesn't Miley Cyrus know that America has already watched another former Disney star — Britney Spears — go from Mousketeer to "burnout baby-mama," and we're not impressed? If Cyrus wants to attract attention to her "post-Disney career," she'll have to do better than a faked lesbian kiss.
"Another Ex-Disney starlet goes slutty"
From a business standpoint, this is Miley's only option: "Cyrus is between a rock and a hard place," says Elisa Walker at The Chimes. As Hannah Montana comes to an end and her original fanbase matures, she risks "losing her relevance in Hollywood," like fellow fresh-faced teen idol Hilary Duff. "So yes, I think she is growing up too fast, but I think it’s a necessary evil if she is to have a career in show business."
"Is Miley Cyrus growing up too fast?"
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- The real reason conservatives should be outraged that police killed a white youth
- 8 ways you're probably overspending without even realizing it
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- Why you should stop believing in evolution
- Even critics of the euro didn't see this coming
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Why the West should accept ISIS as a sovereign nation
- The secret to handling pressure like astronauts, Navy SEALs, and samurai
- The essential techniques that every home cook should know
- 6 constitutional amendments that just missed the cut
Subscribe to the Week