America's most notorious fraudster is thriving in his new home, according to Steve Fishman at New York. Bernie Madoff, serving a 150-year stretch in North Carolina's Butner correctional complex for bilking investors out of approximately $65 billion, has fellow inmates in thrall of his audaciousness. Here, 7 tell-tale quotes attributed to Madoff in the New York story:
"F--k my victims. I carried them for twenty years, and now I'm doing 150 years."
— To an inmate who expressed concern for the investors defrauded by Madoff
"It was a nightmare for me. I wish they caught me six years ago, eight years ago."
— To federal investigators, describing how it felt "living a lie"
"They told me that watch was worth $200,000."
— To fellow prisoners, after seeing that his former timepiece sold at auction for only $900
"All you guys talk about is 'Queer this, queer that.' Don’t you have anything better to talk about?"
— To fellow prisoners, after becoming frustrated by their excessive concern over who might be gay
— Response to a fellow inmate when asked where he had hidden his fortune. (Madoff apparently made "a gesture of water slipping through his hand.")
"Well, that's what I did."
— To a fellow prisoner who opined that stealing from old ladies was "kind of f--ked up"
"What do I do with my life now?"
— To Herb Hoelter, a consultant to celebrity prisoners (including, at one time, Martha Stewart)
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- After Ferguson: Stop deferring to the cops
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- How to adopt the perfect rescue dog
- Is it now OK to have sex with animals?
- Why the poor can't catch a break on Thanksgiving
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- Ferguson riots were terrible — but this racist reaction was worse
- The hilarious hypocrisy of Republicans complaining about the imperial presidency
- How to stop Black Thursday — and still score that big screen
- The lessons of Japan's latest recession
Subscribe to the Week