chools across the country are cutting costs by having kids attend classes just four days a week. More than 120 districts have tried it so far. Some, including Peach County, Georgia, reported benefits beyond what they expected, as test scores, attendance, and graduation rates all improved. But some parents and students complained that, as teachers began teaching faster, many children were being left behind. Should U.S. schools be experimenting with the four-day week? (Watch a local report about four-day school weeks)
Kids might do better with more time off: Sometimes "less is more" — so kids might do fine with a little less school, says Rob Port at Say Anything Blog. "School is important, but kids should also have time to be kids." But this is a case where school choice would also help — if you don't like it when your child's school goes to a four-day week, you should be able to switch to a school where kids attend classes all five weekdays.
"Four day school week results in better attendance, better test scores, better graduation rate"
Students need adequately funded schools, not shorter weeks: Whittling down the school week is no better than furloughing teachers, eliminating field trips, slashing art programs, or any of the other cost-cutting moves schools are trying, says Ann Brenoff in The Huffington Post. If we're short on money, let's try balancing budgets without short-changing our children.
"Four-day school weeks and a better idea"
It might work for kids, but not parents: There's not enough information to be sure a shorter week is better for students, says parenting blog Mom Logic, but it poses an "obvious problem" for working moms. "Who will watch their kids on the fifth day? Schools save money, but parents LOSE money because they have to spend cash on childcare."
"More schools adopt four-day school week"
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why is American internet so slow?
- What the collapse of the Ming Dynasty can tell us about American decline
- 7 ways to be the most interesting person in any room
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Colorado’s new ‘drive high, get a DUI’ commercials are actually pretty clever
- 22 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Who are the real gay marriage bigots?
- Ukraine's fraught relationship with Russia: A brief history
- Russia's Ukraine invasion is a moral crisis
- Sorry Belle Knox, porn still oppresses women
Subscribe to the Week