Schools across the country are cutting costs by having kids attend classes just four days a week. More than 120 districts have tried it so far. Some, including Peach County, Georgia, reported benefits beyond what they expected, as test scores, attendance, and graduation rates all improved. But some parents and students complained that, as teachers began teaching faster, many children were being left behind. Should U.S. schools be experimenting with the four-day week? (Watch a local report about four-day school weeks)
Kids might do better with more time off: Sometimes "less is more" — so kids might do fine with a little less school, says Rob Port at Say Anything Blog. "School is important, but kids should also have time to be kids." But this is a case where school choice would also help — if you don't like it when your child's school goes to a four-day week, you should be able to switch to a school where kids attend classes all five weekdays.
"Four day school week results in better attendance, better test scores, better graduation rate"
Students need adequately funded schools, not shorter weeks: Whittling down the school week is no better than furloughing teachers, eliminating field trips, slashing art programs, or any of the other cost-cutting moves schools are trying, says Ann Brenoff in The Huffington Post. If we're short on money, let's try balancing budgets without short-changing our children.
"Four-day school weeks and a better idea"
It might work for kids, but not parents: There's not enough information to be sure a shorter week is better for students, says parenting blog Mom Logic, but it poses an "obvious problem" for working moms. "Who will watch their kids on the fifth day? Schools save money, but parents LOSE money because they have to spend cash on childcare."
"More schools adopt four-day school week"
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Russia is stealthily threatening America with nuclear war
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- The science of sex: 4 harsh truths about dating and mating
- 13 Urban Outfitters controversies
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Is 'feminism' just another word for 'liberalism'?
- What political elites don't understand about Scotland's push for independence
- The U.S. dollar has been strengthening for 3 straight years! (That's not good news.)
- Why gay people of color are still losing
- Obama knows he can't really 'defeat' ISIS. Americans need to wake up to that reality, too.
Subscribe to the Week