4th-grade teacher has filed a discrimination lawsuit accusing a Christian school of firing her for "fornication" with her fiancé. Jarretta Hamilton says that, when she applied for maternity leave from Southland Christian School in St. Cloud, FL, she admitted, under scrutiny, that she got pregnant three weeks before her 2009 wedding. She alleges that school administrators informed her she was fired for violating the moral code outlined in its employment application. The school is not "intolerant" for upholding its principles, says blogger Texan40 at Christian Forums. If Hamilton knew the rules, she doesn't have a case. Maybe, says Rhonda Swan in the Palm Beach, Fla., Post, but firing a new mother — and leaving her without health insurance — is hardly the "Christian" thing to do. Watch a local news report:
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- He said he was leaving. She ignored him.
- Why Texas Republicans may want to cool the anti-Obama land-grab talk
- Why the poor's investment of choice is so alarming
- Why China's Communist Party is headed for collapse
- How to make perfect fried rice in 6 easy steps
- 31 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Why atheism doesn't have the upper hand over religion
- Why conservatives see rural America as the 'real' America
- Affirmative action is doomed. Here's what progressives should do about it.
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
Subscribe to the Week