A 4th-grade teacher has filed a discrimination lawsuit accusing a Christian school of firing her for "fornication" with her fiancé. Jarretta Hamilton says that, when she applied for maternity leave from Southland Christian School in St. Cloud, FL, she admitted, under scrutiny, that she got pregnant three weeks before her 2009 wedding. She alleges that school administrators informed her she was fired for violating the moral code outlined in its employment application. The school is not "intolerant" for upholding its principles, says blogger Texan40 at Christian Forums. If Hamilton knew the rules, she doesn't have a case. Maybe, says Rhonda Swan in the Palm Beach, Fla., Post, but firing a new mother — and leaving her without health insurance — is hardly the "Christian" thing to do. Watch a local news report:
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 13 Urban Outfitters controversies
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- This is how the U.S. thinks China could invade Taiwan
- Why you should stop believing in evolution
- The science of sex: 4 harsh truths about dating and mating
- Can we lead spiritually fulfilling lives without religion?
- Surviving a plane crash
- Obama knows he can't really 'defeat' ISIS. Americans need to wake up to that reality, too.
- Confessions of a hotel insider
Subscribe to the Week