4th-grade teacher has filed a discrimination lawsuit accusing a Christian school of firing her for "fornication" with her fiancé. Jarretta Hamilton says that, when she applied for maternity leave from Southland Christian School in St. Cloud, FL, she admitted, under scrutiny, that she got pregnant three weeks before her 2009 wedding. She alleges that school administrators informed her she was fired for violating the moral code outlined in its employment application. The school is not "intolerant" for upholding its principles, says blogger Texan40 at Christian Forums. If Hamilton knew the rules, she doesn't have a case. Maybe, says Rhonda Swan in the Palm Beach, Fla., Post, but firing a new mother — and leaving her without health insurance — is hardly the "Christian" thing to do. Watch a local news report:
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 7 ways to be the most interesting person in any room
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Why is American internet so slow?
- What the collapse of the Ming Dynasty can tell us about American decline
- Colorado’s new ‘drive high, get a DUI’ commercials are actually pretty clever
- Who are the real gay marriage bigots?
- Religious liberty should be a liberal value, too
- 22 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Ukraine's fraught relationship with Russia: A brief history
- Sorry Belle Knox, porn still oppresses women
Subscribe to the Week