A 4th-grade teacher has filed a discrimination lawsuit accusing a Christian school of firing her for "fornication" with her fiancé. Jarretta Hamilton says that, when she applied for maternity leave from Southland Christian School in St. Cloud, FL, she admitted, under scrutiny, that she got pregnant three weeks before her 2009 wedding. She alleges that school administrators informed her she was fired for violating the moral code outlined in its employment application. The school is not "intolerant" for upholding its principles, says blogger Texan40 at Christian Forums. If Hamilton knew the rules, she doesn't have a case. Maybe, says Rhonda Swan in the Palm Beach, Fla., Post, but firing a new mother — and leaving her without health insurance — is hardly the "Christian" thing to do. Watch a local news report:
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why Mitt Romney is perfectly poised for a comeback in 2016
- Why is the West so afraid of Islam?
- The Nazi smart bomb that inspired China's most dangerous weapon
- Here's the schedule very successful people follow every day
- Why GOP reformers are bound to fail
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- The best places to find love — and lust — according to science
- The mystery behind China's aggressive push into space
- 10 things you need to know today: July 31, 2014
- 8 secrets to steal from power networkers
Subscribe to the Week