Jon Stewart, Comedy Central's satirist-in-chief, last night turned his attention to Alvin Greene, the tongue-tied Democrat candidate whose baffling win in a South Carolina senate primary has flummoxed an increasingly aghast media. While his defeated rival Vic Rawl is challenging the election results, state Democrats are suggesting that Greene is a Republican plant, earning Stewart's ridicule. "This is the political equivalent of running yourself a warm bath, falling asleep next to it with your hand in the tub, wetting yourself and then blaming the Republicans," he said. After Stewart's takedown of the Nikki Haley affair, South Carolina is fast becoming "one of Jon Stewart's favorite targets," says The Huffington Post. And in typical "Daily Show" style, Stewart "reveled in not only the absurdity of Greene's victory, but of course, the media's coverage of it." Here's the video:
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Syrian women know how to defeat ISIS
- The U.S. Marines are developing laser weapons. Here's why.
- The one thing the New Atheists get right about religion
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- How 1,000-year lifespans could remake the economy
- Will Kobani be ISIS's Waterloo?
- 5 baffling foreign-language versions of the Fresh Prince of Bel-Air theme song
- Bob Odenkirk's 6 favorite books
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- 3 horrific inaccuracies in Homeland's depiction of Islamabad
Subscribe to the Week