Fresh off her high-profile gig hosting "Saturday Night Live" in May, 88-year-old entertainment legend Betty White is starring in the new sitcom, "Hot in Cleveland." White plays the sharp-tongued caretaker in a house where three Los Angeles women wind up when their plane to Paris abruptly lands in Ohio. The show premiered on the TV Land network Wednesday evening. Is it worth watching? (Watch a clip featuring Betty White)
Absolutely. Betty White makes the show work: "Hot in Cleveland" is "pleasant enough," says Alan Sepinwall at HitFix, but it "really only comes to life" when White is on screen. Her "well-honed talent" shines through, even if "good vibes from past roles" may be one reason the studio audience goes "nuts" over lines "that barely even qualify as jokes." 2010 is definitely "The Year of Betty White."
"Review: Hot in Cleveland"
Hot in Cleveland's other stars aren't bad, either: Betty White is terrific, but so is the rest of the cast, says Paige Wiser at the Chicago Sun-Times. It's great to see one-time "it" girl Valerie Bertinelli back on TV, and "Frasier"'s Jane Leeves and "Just Shoot Me"'s Wendie Malick are "sharper than ever." This sitcom may be "formulaic," but it has "tremendous good will on its side."
"TV Land's Hot in Cleveland"
Everybody's just afraid to say anything bad about Betty White: This show is nothing but a "standard laugh-track sitcom," says Willa Paskin at New York magazine, but it's getting positive reviews out of respect for its eldest star. "In the court of public opinion, it is currently illegal to make fun of Betty White." Maybe "Hot in Cleveland" isn't quite bad enough to "force people to say uncomplimentary things about one of White's projects," but will anything ever be?
"Is it now illegal to criticize Betty White?"
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Watch out, China — America is working on dogfighting drones
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- How liberals are unwittingly paving the way for the legalization of adult incest
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- How the Simpsons/Family Guy crossover revealed the worst of both shows
- Why the Chinese military is only a paper dragon
- The troubling persistence of eugenicist thought in modern America
- Why America won't have enough money to battle ISIS
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- Libertarianism's terrible, horrible, no good, very bad idea
Subscribe to the Week