Welcome to The Week's "What Next?" contest, an invitation to test your powers of imagination with challenges inspired by current events.
Results: We asked you to come up with an upbeat new slogan for BP, and you flowed forth with:
FIRST PRIZE: Gushing with pride
Jeffrey Contompasis, Ashburn, VA
SECOND PLACE: Reducing shark attacks by 100%!
Jennifer Miller, Eagan, MN
THIRD PLACE: Paving the way for alternative energy legislation!
Bethany Wheeling, Finksburg, MD
Still a better track record than Union Carbide!
Bryan F. Smith, Austin, TX
Don’t worry, BP happy
Paul Wysocki, Oceanside, CA
Hundreds of off-shore wells and only one disaster
Margaret Cooke, East Lansing, MI
Helping you to discover other vacation destinations
Beth Simon, Oakland, CA
Resurrecting Kevin Costner’s career
Barbara James, Bedford, MD
Put an oily pelican in your tank
Greg Benson, Athens, GA
Oil? We’ve got you covered
Michael Robell, Lansing, MI
Oil? We’re swimming in it!
Mike Reiss, New York City
We bring the oil to YOU
Carol Blackburn, Rockville Centre, NY
There’s more where that came from!
John Light, Nathrop, CO
The wave of the future
Walter Tarczyniski, Richmond, CA
What can brown do for you?
Paul Juhasz, Stephenville, TX
You can’t spell “absorption” without BP
Ashley Ryan, Catonsville, MD
When a carbon footprint isn’t enough
John P. Kalil, Phoenix
We bring gooey things to life
Bette S. Baysinger, Ridgecrest, CA
Sharing our resources with America
Stephen H. Smith, Fredericksburg, VA
Helping the Gulf move beyond Katrina
Jeff Burger, Ridgewood, NJ
From sea to shiny sea
Judith Cottrill, The Bronx
God save the sheen
Nate Williams, Reading, MA
Buy our gas so we can afford to clean up the spill
Melane Craver, Lawrenceville, GA
Oh, right, like you never spilled anything.
Mark Miller, Los Angeles
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- Why the Chinese military is only a paper dragon
- Libertarianism's terrible, horrible, no good, very bad idea
- Christian conservatives have a terrifying new bogeyman: The Christian leftist
- The troubling persistence of eugenicist thought in modern America
- Eric Holder blew it as attorney general. His replacement will, too,
- What the Romney boomlet says about the establishment GOP's feeble 2016 field
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
Subscribe to the Week