"American democracy is being dismantled, piece by piece, before our very eyes," says Thomas Sowell in Investor's Business Daily. "And few people seem to be concerned about it." If you don't believe it, consider the plight of BP. The Constitution doesn't give the president power to "extract vast sums of money from a private enterprise and distribute it as he sees fit to whomever he deems worthy of compensation." Yet that is exactly what President Obama has done by pressuring BP to cough up $20 billion for a fund to compensate people harmed by the oil spill. "When Adolf Hitler was building up the Nazi movement in the 1920s," he deliberately rallied to his side people who normally paid little attention to politics because they were naive and unlikely to question his rhetoric — "useful idiots," as Lenin called "similarly unthinking supporters" of his Soviet dictatorship. It turns out, we have them in America, too. Here, an excerpt:
"If the agreement with BP was an isolated event, perhaps we might hope that it would not be a precedent. But there is nothing isolated about it.
The man appointed by President Obama to dispense BP's money as the administration sees fit, to whomever it sees fit, is only the latest in a long line of presidentially appointed 'czars' controlling different parts of the economy, without even having to be confirmed by the Senate, as Cabinet members are.
Those who cannot see beyond the immediate events to the issues of arbitrary power -- vs. the rule of law and the preservation of freedom -- are the 'useful idiots' of our time. But useful to whom?"
Read the full article at Investor's Business Daily.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- The 11 worst fast food restaurants in America
- 7 things the world's happiest people do every day
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- The rise of the global middle class is our best hope to stop climate change
- Why are so many parents being arrested?
- 9 things you probably didn't know about the moon
- What I learned from totally unplugging and shutting up for three days
- Israel has only two choices: Eliminate the Palestinians or make peace
- The biggest lesson Obama failed to learn from Bush
- Immigration, charity, and conservatives' unholy assault on Glenn Beck
Subscribe to the Week