"American democracy is being dismantled, piece by piece, before our very eyes," says Thomas Sowell in Investor's Business Daily. "And few people seem to be concerned about it." If you don't believe it, consider the plight of BP. The Constitution doesn't give the president power to "extract vast sums of money from a private enterprise and distribute it as he sees fit to whomever he deems worthy of compensation." Yet that is exactly what President Obama has done by pressuring BP to cough up $20 billion for a fund to compensate people harmed by the oil spill. "When Adolf Hitler was building up the Nazi movement in the 1920s," he deliberately rallied to his side people who normally paid little attention to politics because they were naive and unlikely to question his rhetoric — "useful idiots," as Lenin called "similarly unthinking supporters" of his Soviet dictatorship. It turns out, we have them in America, too. Here, an excerpt:
"If the agreement with BP was an isolated event, perhaps we might hope that it would not be a precedent. But there is nothing isolated about it.
The man appointed by President Obama to dispense BP's money as the administration sees fit, to whomever it sees fit, is only the latest in a long line of presidentially appointed 'czars' controlling different parts of the economy, without even having to be confirmed by the Senate, as Cabinet members are.
Those who cannot see beyond the immediate events to the issues of arbitrary power -- vs. the rule of law and the preservation of freedom -- are the 'useful idiots' of our time. But useful to whom?"
Read the full article at Investor's Business Daily.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why is the Pentagon stuffing caves in Norway full of tanks?
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- The one thing the New Atheists get right about religion
- Syrian women know how to defeat ISIS
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- 3 horrific inaccuracies in Homeland's depiction of Islamabad
- The uncomfortable truth in The Giving Tree
- 5 baffling foreign-language versions of the Fresh Prince of Bel-Air theme song
- Did Republicans overshoot on the Ebola panic?
- The U.S. is about to sell weapons to Vietnam. That's bad news for China.
Subscribe to the Week