"American democracy is being dismantled, piece by piece, before our very eyes," says Thomas Sowell in Investor's Business Daily. "And few people seem to be concerned about it." If you don't believe it, consider the plight of BP. The Constitution doesn't give the president power to "extract vast sums of money from a private enterprise and distribute it as he sees fit to whomever he deems worthy of compensation." Yet that is exactly what President Obama has done by pressuring BP to cough up $20 billion for a fund to compensate people harmed by the oil spill. "When Adolf Hitler was building up the Nazi movement in the 1920s," he deliberately rallied to his side people who normally paid little attention to politics because they were naive and unlikely to question his rhetoric — "useful idiots," as Lenin called "similarly unthinking supporters" of his Soviet dictatorship. It turns out, we have them in America, too. Here, an excerpt:
"If the agreement with BP was an isolated event, perhaps we might hope that it would not be a precedent. But there is nothing isolated about it.
The man appointed by President Obama to dispense BP's money as the administration sees fit, to whomever it sees fit, is only the latest in a long line of presidentially appointed 'czars' controlling different parts of the economy, without even having to be confirmed by the Senate, as Cabinet members are.
Those who cannot see beyond the immediate events to the issues of arbitrary power -- vs. the rule of law and the preservation of freedom -- are the 'useful idiots' of our time. But useful to whom?"
Read the full article at Investor's Business Daily.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why are so many elderly Asians killing themselves?
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like
- Driverless cars may be an environmental disaster
- Why I'm sick and tired of seeing naked women on HBO
- Why Ted Cruz is the real-life Frank Underwood
- Here's proof that Justin Bieber is just as spoiled as you always thought
- Why ABC threw its Bachelor under the bus
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- 4 easy ways to resolve life's toughest questions
- Watch Zach Galifianakis get annoyed at President Obama on Between Two Ferns
Subscribe to the Week