"American democracy is being dismantled, piece by piece, before our very eyes," says Thomas Sowell in Investor's Business Daily. "And few people seem to be concerned about it." If you don't believe it, consider the plight of BP. The Constitution doesn't give the president power to "extract vast sums of money from a private enterprise and distribute it as he sees fit to whomever he deems worthy of compensation." Yet that is exactly what President Obama has done by pressuring BP to cough up $20 billion for a fund to compensate people harmed by the oil spill. "When Adolf Hitler was building up the Nazi movement in the 1920s," he deliberately rallied to his side people who normally paid little attention to politics because they were naive and unlikely to question his rhetoric — "useful idiots," as Lenin called "similarly unthinking supporters" of his Soviet dictatorship. It turns out, we have them in America, too. Here, an excerpt:
"If the agreement with BP was an isolated event, perhaps we might hope that it would not be a precedent. But there is nothing isolated about it.
The man appointed by President Obama to dispense BP's money as the administration sees fit, to whomever it sees fit, is only the latest in a long line of presidentially appointed 'czars' controlling different parts of the economy, without even having to be confirmed by the Senate, as Cabinet members are.
Those who cannot see beyond the immediate events to the issues of arbitrary power -- vs. the rule of law and the preservation of freedom -- are the 'useful idiots' of our time. But useful to whom?"
Read the full article at Investor's Business Daily.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 31 TV shows to watch in 2014
- The world's dumbest idea: Taxing solar energy
- Why atheism doesn't have the upper hand over religion
- He said he was leaving. She ignored him.
- Attack of the invasive species
- 14 wonderful words with no English equivalent
- Which states get screwed worst by the Electoral College?
- Lessons from Lincoln: 5 leadership tips history and science agree on
- How Captain America won over China
- 10 things you need to know today: April 19, 2014
Subscribe to the Week