“It irritates the White House to no end that former President Bill Clinton is a more popular draw for Democratic candidates in this fall’s election. But with polls showing the party in trouble everywhere, President Obama’s aides have little alternative but to grin and put their faith in the husband of the woman who ran against them in 2008. ‘He’s probably the most popular national Democrat we’ve got,’ says Rep. Artur Davis, a retiring Alabama Democrat, who was Obama’s 2008 state chairman in Alabama. Everywhere [Clinton] goes, he brings out the Democratic faithful—and their checkbooks.”
John Fund in The Wall Street Journal
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why is American internet so slow?
- 7 ways to be the most interesting person in any room
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Colorado’s new ‘drive high, get a DUI’ commercials are actually pretty clever
- What the collapse of the Ming Dynasty can tell us about American decline
- 22 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Who are the real gay marriage bigots?
- Sorry Belle Knox, porn still oppresses women
- Don't worry: World War III will almost certainly never happen
- Ukraine's fraught relationship with Russia: A brief history
Subscribe to the Week