“It irritates the White House to no end that former President Bill Clinton is a more popular draw for Democratic candidates in this fall’s election. But with polls showing the party in trouble everywhere, President Obama’s aides have little alternative but to grin and put their faith in the husband of the woman who ran against them in 2008. ‘He’s probably the most popular national Democrat we’ve got,’ says Rep. Artur Davis, a retiring Alabama Democrat, who was Obama’s 2008 state chairman in Alabama. Everywhere [Clinton] goes, he brings out the Democratic faithful—and their checkbooks.”
John Fund in The Wall Street Journal
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- The one thing the New Atheists get right about religion
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- The uncomfortable truth in The Giving Tree
- The simple trick to making better decisions in every aspect of life
- Syrian women know how to defeat ISIS
- The U.S. government is actually trouncing Ebola. When will it get credit?
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- Why 2014 may be as good as it gets for the Republican Party
- 3 horrific inaccuracies in Homeland's depiction of Islamabad
Subscribe to the Week