“It irritates the White House to no end that former President Bill Clinton is a more popular draw for Democratic candidates in this fall’s election. But with polls showing the party in trouble everywhere, President Obama’s aides have little alternative but to grin and put their faith in the husband of the woman who ran against them in 2008. ‘He’s probably the most popular national Democrat we’ve got,’ says Rep. Artur Davis, a retiring Alabama Democrat, who was Obama’s 2008 state chairman in Alabama. Everywhere [Clinton] goes, he brings out the Democratic faithful—and their checkbooks.”
John Fund in The Wall Street Journal
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why you shouldn't eat dog. Not even once.
- Why you should really take a nap this afternoon, according to science
- Why Israel can no longer let the Palestinian Authority be responsible for security in the West Bank
- How U.S. special forces are preparing for the worst-case scenario in North Korea
- Grammar quiz: Do you know the passive voice?
- How social conservatives became a minority in need of protection
- Here's the schedule very successful people follow every day
- Why charity can't solve society's deepest problems
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- I hate Ayn Rand — but here's why my fellow conservatives love her
Subscribe to the Week