“It irritates the White House to no end that former President Bill Clinton is a more popular draw for Democratic candidates in this fall’s election. But with polls showing the party in trouble everywhere, President Obama’s aides have little alternative but to grin and put their faith in the husband of the woman who ran against them in 2008. ‘He’s probably the most popular national Democrat we’ve got,’ says Rep. Artur Davis, a retiring Alabama Democrat, who was Obama’s 2008 state chairman in Alabama. Everywhere [Clinton] goes, he brings out the Democratic faithful—and their checkbooks.”
John Fund in The Wall Street Journal
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- This is why you can't trust the NSA. Ever.
- Innocent before proven guilty? The bizarre bipartisan rush to clear Rick Perry
- Why you should stop believing in evolution
- 10 things you need to know today: August 22, 2014
- Don't listen to Paul Ryan: The GOP is still the party of makers and takers
- ISIS and the echoes of the West's religious terror
- 4 things NASA can teach you about a good night's sleep
- The single best way to help your kid succeed at school
- What's wrong with Europe’s economy?
- 7 of the scariest spiders in existence
Subscribe to the Week