Welcome to The Week's "What Next?" contest, an invitation to test your powers of imagination with challenges inspired by current events.
Results: Before Belarusian officials let Elton John play there, they asked for tapes of previous concerts to make sure his music doesn’t try to convert audiences to homosexuality. We asked you for the title of a song Elton might sing that would justify the Belarusians’ fears.
FIRST PRIZE: Hold Me Closer, Tony Danza
Kristin Borsenik, Northville, MI
SECOND PLACE: Goodbye, Hetero Road
Bill Dorner, Indianapolis
THIRD PLACE: Someone Changed Your Life Tonight
Beth Simon, Oakland, CA
I Just Can’t Wait to be Queen
Brian Bohr, Evanston, IL
Scented Candle in the Wind
James Lister Smith, Mill Valley, CA
I Guess That’s Why We All Wear Great Shoes
Ashley Ryan, Catonsville, MD
All the Young Boys Love Alan
Martin Daynorowicz, Doylestown, PA
Someone’s Switching Sides Tonight
Jonathan Hanst, Boulder, CO
Daniel, My Partner
Kevin Crosby, Trinidad, CO
God Saves the Queen
David Trachtenberg, Aiken, SC
Scott McRae, Tampa, FL
Take Me to the Pilot…Then Close the Cockpit Door
Nadine Lubka, New York City
Just Like Romeo and Julius
Pat Van Antwerpen, Hatboro, PA
Roll Over, Beethoven
Laura Comley, Nicholasville, KY
Someone Changed My Lifestyle Tonight
Carmen Ficarra, Seattle
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- The U.S. is about to sell weapons to Vietnam. That's bad news for China.
- Why is the Pentagon stuffing caves in Norway full of tanks?
- What the Middle Ages can tell us about the GOP's big charity myth
- An open letter to #brands about Gamergate
- Did the media get Ferguson wrong?
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- The most sensible GOP alternative to ObamaCare comes from a Senate candidate who is almost sure to lose
- 'Having it all' has officially jumped the shark
- Did Republicans overshoot on the Ebola panic?
- Gamergate has backfired spectacularly on its nincompoop perpetrators
Subscribe to the Week