Gary Faulkner, the "bin Laden hunter," is back from Pakistan, and he has something to say to people "out there talking smack" about his quixotic mission. "You could say I'm a religious freak, you could say I'm a Rambo or a samurai or whatever — but you know what? I'm a person who said, 'I'm going to get off my ass and do something,'" he told CNN. Pakistani authorities sent Faulkner home after they found him in the woods of a border region where al Qaeda leader Osama bin Laden may be hiding. Faulkner was carrying a pistol, a sword, and night-vision goggles, and he says he got so close to bin Laden he could have shot him, "if I had a rifle." At least Faulkner's CNN interview confirms one thing, says Joshua Holland at AlterNet. The man is a "whack job." I thought Faulkner had to be "certifiably crazy," too, when I first heard about his mission, says Glenn Church at Foolocracy. Now I suspect he's "sane," although he's one "volatile and unique character." Watch Faulkner's interview shortly after he landed in Los Angeles:
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- This is what happens when Republicans actually enact their radical agenda
- Russia is stealthily threatening America with nuclear war
- How I dug myself out of debt — and stayed that way
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- The science of sex: 4 harsh truths about dating and mating
- 13 Urban Outfitters controversies
- America is doomed! (And other thoughts on our gloomy historical moment.)
- If Scotland leaves the union, is Northern Ireland next?
- Will the Higgs Boson destroy the universe in a cosmic death bubble?
Subscribe to the Week