ary Faulkner, the "bin Laden hunter," is back from Pakistan, and he has something to say to people "out there talking smack" about his quixotic mission. "You could say I'm a religious freak, you could say I'm a Rambo or a samurai or whatever — but you know what? I'm a person who said, 'I'm going to get off my ass and do something,'" he told CNN. Pakistani authorities sent Faulkner home after they found him in the woods of a border region where al Qaeda leader Osama bin Laden may be hiding. Faulkner was carrying a pistol, a sword, and night-vision goggles, and he says he got so close to bin Laden he could have shot him, "if I had a rifle." At least Faulkner's CNN interview confirms one thing, says Joshua Holland at AlterNet. The man is a "whack job." I thought Faulkner had to be "certifiably crazy," too, when I first heard about his mission, says Glenn Church at Foolocracy. Now I suspect he's "sane," although he's one "volatile and unique character." Watch Faulkner's interview shortly after he landed in Los Angeles:
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- The world's dumbest idea: Taxing solar energy
- Why would a young person today be religious?
- Israel and Russia are getting along. Have the neocons noticed?
- He said he was leaving. She ignored him.
- 31 TV shows to watch in 2014
- 10 things you need to know today: April 18, 2014
- Which states get screwed worst by the Electoral College?
- Why Good Friday is so important to Christians
- Why we can't stop procrastinating, according to science
- Why atheism doesn't have the upper hand over religion
Subscribe to the Week