harming wheelchair-bound Zach Anner was the easy frontrunner in Oprah Winfrey's "Your OWN Show" contest — a web-based vote-off designed to find "the next big TV star" — until last Tuesday, when a sudden surge in votes for fellow contestant Phyllis Tucker-Wicks temporarily pushed him out first place. Anner fans — which include musician John Mayer and the shady internet provocateurs at 4chan — immediately cried foul, with some web-savvy bloggers offering purported evidence that someone at OWN rigged the vote. Is there any reason to believe them? Something was undeniably weird with the voting, says Amanda Fox in Helium. And while it's too soon to "make accusations that this all happened because Oprah demanded it," that's "still possible." Er, not really, says Julie Ryan Evans at The Stir. The idea that Oprah "hate[s] the handicapped" is pretty absurd. Sounds "like a technical glitch to me... or some good viral PR by Dr. Phyllis." See Zach Anner's video below:
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why I'm a pro-life liberal
- 31 TV shows to watch in 2014
- If a nuclear bomb exploded in downtown Washington, what should you do?
- He said he was leaving. She ignored him.
- Why we can't stop procrastinating, according to science
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- How Ukraine can fend off the Russians, in 7 simple steps
- These stunning travel photos remind us that we're all just amateurs with iPhones
- Israel and Russia are getting along. Have the neocons noticed?
- How to be more satisfied with your life, according to science
Subscribe to the Week