hough her mother has demonstrated a certain talent for drama, Bristol Palin's acting debut — as a guest star on ABC Family's teen-mother saga "The Secret Life of the American Teenager" — is confounding critics. This "has got to be one of the most wooden performances since Pinocchio," says Tim Surette at TV.com. Palin's "robotic stare" and "blank face" are especially concerning since the young abstinence advocate is apparently "playing herself." Adds Washington Post blogger Emily Yahr: Palin's attempt to deliver what "we think" is a joke "seems to even confuse [her costar]." Let's not overanalyze this, says Annie Barrett in Entertainment Weekly: "The acting is pretty terrible, but hey, Bristol is just a responsible citizen of the good ol’ U.S. of A., doing her part for a television ratings stunt." Here's a preview clip of Palin's July 5 appearance:
- 10 things you need to know today: December 7, 2013
- How the strange case of Obama's Uncle Omar complicates immigration reform
- There is a better alternative to raising the minimum wage
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- Which professions have the most psychopaths?
- Is Biden helping or hurting U.S. interests in Asia?
- Ryan Seacrest invested $1 million to transform your iPhone into a BlackBerry
- Rick Santorum wins the prize for the worst Nelson Mandela tribute
- The irresponsibly stupid and dangerous camouflage patterns of the U.S. military
- Watch The Daily Show use Pope Francis to hammer Fox Business pundits
Subscribe to the Week