Joe Biden has used another naughty word in public. While campaigning with Sen. Russ Feingold in Glendale, Wisconsin, the vice president ordered a cone at Kopp's Frozen Custard and asked what he owed. "Lower our taxes, we'll call it even," the store manager told him. After a "colorful" exchange, the VP says, "Why don't you say something nice, instead of being a smartass all the time?" According to the manager, Biden later whispered, "I'm just kidding" — but the man also told Fox and Friends he was a bit "thrown" by Biden's word choice. Yet more evidence "the disconnect between average, everyday Americans and this administration is stark," says Shannon Bell at RightPundits. It's clear that Biden was just joking around, says Alex Pareene at Salon. Even our "shameless, Cheney-worshiping right-wing press" will find it hard to blow this up into a controversy. Watch the video here:
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why torture doesn't work: A definitive guide
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- How academia's liberal bias is killing social science
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Could better U.S.-Cuban relations thwart baseball's human smuggling problem?
- Hey, bosses: Stop giving bonuses to your employees
- Dick Cheney's America is an ugly place
- The Hobbit: A disappointing set of movies, but a worthy set of prequels
- How to make the ultimate grilled cheese
- Diagnosing the Home Alone burglars' injuries: A professional weighs in
Subscribe to the Week