Joe Biden has used another naughty word in public. While campaigning with Sen. Russ Feingold in Glendale, Wisconsin, the vice president ordered a cone at Kopp's Frozen Custard and asked what he owed. "Lower our taxes, we'll call it even," the store manager told him. After a "colorful" exchange, the VP says, "Why don't you say something nice, instead of being a smartass all the time?" According to the manager, Biden later whispered, "I'm just kidding" — but the man also told Fox and Friends he was a bit "thrown" by Biden's word choice. Yet more evidence "the disconnect between average, everyday Americans and this administration is stark," says Shannon Bell at RightPundits. It's clear that Biden was just joking around, says Alex Pareene at Salon. Even our "shameless, Cheney-worshiping right-wing press" will find it hard to blow this up into a controversy. Watch the video here:
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Rise of the machines
- 3 horrific inaccuracies in Homeland's depiction of Islamabad
- Gamergate has backfired spectacularly on its nincompoop perpetrators
- 10 things you need to know today: October 20, 2014
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- It's time to kill school picture day
- The uncomfortable truth in The Giving Tree
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- Ban PowerPoint!
Subscribe to the Week