oe Biden has used another naughty word in public. While campaigning with Sen. Russ Feingold in Glendale, Wisconsin, the vice president ordered a cone at Kopp's Frozen Custard and asked what he owed. "Lower our taxes, we'll call it even," the store manager told him. After a "colorful" exchange, the VP says, "Why don't you say something nice, instead of being a smartass all the time?" According to the manager, Biden later whispered, "I'm just kidding" — but the man also told Fox and Friends he was a bit "thrown" by Biden's word choice. Yet more evidence "the disconnect between average, everyday Americans and this administration is stark," says Shannon Bell at RightPundits. It's clear that Biden was just joking around, says Alex Pareene at Salon. Even our "shameless, Cheney-worshiping right-wing press" will find it hard to blow this up into a controversy. Watch the video here:
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- What the collapse of the Ming Dynasty can tell us about American decline
- Why is American internet so slow?
- Colorado’s new ‘drive high, get a DUI’ commercials are actually pretty clever
- 7 ways to be the most interesting person in any room
- 10 things you need to know today: March 10, 2014
- Why is it so expensive to build a bridge in America?
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- The GOP must try to win over African Americans
- Ukraine's fraught relationship with Russia: A brief history
- 22 TV shows to watch in 2014
Subscribe to the Week