ill Clinton suggested the military may have to blow up the BP oil well. Speaking at a media forum in Cape Town, South Africa this weekend, the former president called the still-leaking well a "geological nightmare," and raised the specter of sending "the Navy down deep to blow up the well and cover the leak with piles and piles and piles of rock and debris." Clinton added that we "don't have to use nuclear weapons," as some have suggested. This is a "big 'win'" for the "bomb-minded armchair engineers," says Jim Newell in Gawker. Actually, blowing up the well might be legally tricky, says Allapundit in Hot Air. "Roughly 95 percent of the available oil in the field is still underground, and BP could potentially "sue to keep American bombs away from the leak." What we really need is an increase in international help — "faster, please." Watch Bill Clinton's remarks below:
- The indignity of canine bath time
- Watch The Daily Show definitively prove that corporations are not people
- 10 things you need to know today: December 5, 2013
- Is it possible to live forever?
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- 5 books to read before your 30th birthday
- The logic behind the world's 4 weirdest strategic reserves
- Which professions have the most psychopaths?
- No, Obama doesn't have to fire everybody in the White House
- 11 languages spoken by 11 people or fewer
Subscribe to the Week