ith the World Cup semi-finals set to kick off in South Africa, a "psychic" octopus in the city of Oberhausen, Germany has shocked his countrymen and thrilled the Iberian peninsula by picking Spain over Germany in tomorrow's highly anticipated match. Paul — whose clairvoyant process involves selecting food from one of two clear plastic boxes, each bearing the flag of a competing team — has earned international fame by successfully predicting the outcomes of Germany's games to date, including four wins and an upset loss to Serbia. Germany "shuddered" when Paul forecast a loss, says Eric Kelsey in Der Speigel. Somehow, the octopus even "seemed to sense that his prophecy would not be a popular one." Yeah, this is a real "bummer for all those German fans who believe in tooth fairies and Santa Claus," says GrrlScientist at Science Blogs. Watch Paul deliberate:
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 31 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Attack of the invasive species
- Why atheism doesn't have the upper hand over religion
- He said he was leaving. She ignored him.
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- 14 wonderful words with no English equivalent
- If a nuclear bomb exploded in downtown Washington, what should you do?
- How to flirt, according to science
- Why I'm a pro-life liberal
- What The Americans gets wrong about Russian spies
Subscribe to the Week