fter Russia's disappointing performance at the 2010 Winter Olympics in Vancouver, president Dmitry Medvedev ordered a government audit — which uncovered nearly $200 million in misspent funds. Now Sports, Tourism, and Youth Policy Minister Vitaly Mutko, who reportedly rejects the findings, has come under fire for wasting taxpayer's money, with some calling for his resignation. Here, a look at some of the controversial figures:
Total amount Russia spent on the games
Number of medals won by Russian athletes in Vancouver (including three gold medals, five fewer than they collected at the 2006 Games in Turin, Italy)
Amount Russia spent per medal
Total Vancouver hotel bill for Sports Minister Mutko
Nightly rate for his hotel room
Amount Russian government officials are allotted to spend for nightly hotel accommodation
Total number of breakfasts Mutko claims to have eaten during his 20-day stay, or roughly five per day (racking up a breakfast bill of $4,500)
Amount the Russians spent on parking fees during the Games
Total amount Russia expects to spend to host the 2014 Winter Olympics in Sochi — more than three times the previous record
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why is American internet so slow?
- 7 ways to be the most interesting person in any room
- Colorado’s new ‘drive high, get a DUI’ commercials are actually pretty clever
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- What the collapse of the Ming Dynasty can tell us about American decline
- Here are the people who want to take a one way trip to Mars
- Who are the real gay marriage bigots?
- 22 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Ukraine's fraught relationship with Russia: A brief history
- 10 classic Sesame Street moments we wouldn't show today's kids
Subscribe to the Week