fter Russia's disappointing performance at the 2010 Winter Olympics in Vancouver, president Dmitry Medvedev ordered a government audit — which uncovered nearly $200 million in misspent funds. Now Sports, Tourism, and Youth Policy Minister Vitaly Mutko, who reportedly rejects the findings, has come under fire for wasting taxpayer's money, with some calling for his resignation. Here, a look at some of the controversial figures:
Total amount Russia spent on the games
Number of medals won by Russian athletes in Vancouver (including three gold medals, five fewer than they collected at the 2006 Games in Turin, Italy)
Amount Russia spent per medal
Total Vancouver hotel bill for Sports Minister Mutko
Nightly rate for his hotel room
Amount Russian government officials are allotted to spend for nightly hotel accommodation
Total number of breakfasts Mutko claims to have eaten during his 20-day stay, or roughly five per day (racking up a breakfast bill of $4,500)
Amount the Russians spent on parking fees during the Games
Total amount Russia expects to spend to host the 2014 Winter Olympics in Sochi — more than three times the previous record
- 4 secret societies you probably don't know about
- Diagnosing the Home Alone burglars' injuries: A professional weighs in
- This is the twistiest tongue twister ever, says science
- The secrets of happy families
- Battle in a blizzard
- Did God have a wife?
- Would you cuddle a stranger for $80 an hour?
- Which professions have the most psychopaths?
- Why Newt Gingrich is getting flak for defending Nelson Mandela
- How to stick it to the poor: A congressional strategy
Subscribe to the Week