Lindsay Lohan is going to jail, after Beverly Hills Judge Marsha Revel sentenced the sobbing actress to 90 days for breaking the terms of her parole for driving while intoxicated. This is a sad, new low for a 24-year-old "Hollywood wild child" who, as a "squeaky-clean" 12-year-old ingenue, pledged she was "going to stay normal," says Bill Hutchison in the New York Daily News. It's hard to say if she deserves to go to jail, says Reuters film critic Bill Tourtellote, since she clearly fell off the wagon but also did just about "everything Judge Revel ordered her to do." Others may take "voyeuristic pleasure" in watching her melt down, or piddle away her "tremendous talent," says David Wild in The Huffington Post, "but I'm still rooting for her to pull a Robert Downey Jr. and come back stronger than ever." Watch Lohan being sentenced, and reprimanded, by Judge Revel:
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Is it now OK to have sex with animals?
- Republicans love this new health care plan. Too bad it's basically a tax cut for the rich.
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- In Ferguson, Michael Brown lost his life — and America's police lost the benefit of the doubt
- In defense of Gwyneth Paltrow
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- 17 old proverbs we should use more often
- 10 classic Sesame Street moments we wouldn't show today's kids
- Adam Sandler's 'Thanksgiving Song': Explaining the 22-year-old tune's pop-culture references
- 13 vegetarian dishes for Thanksgiving
Subscribe to the Week