Levi Johnston is calling a truce in his war of words with Sarah Palin, or possibly surrendering. Johnston, who fathered a child with Bristol Palin, tells People that he "publicly said things about the Palins that were not completely true," blaming post-breakup anger and "youthful indiscretion." Why is Johnston apologizing now? And if he lied before, should we believe him this time around? (Watch an AP report about Johnston's apology)
Perhaps Levi and Bristol are reuniting: Johnston's apology certainly lends "a bit more credence" to the rumors that he and Bristol are rekindling their romance, says Christopher Weber in Politics Daily. If the couple can move past the "cattiness" he showed in painting Sarah Palin as a mopey, "uncaring opportunist eager for fame," that can only be good for their son, Tripp.
"Levi Johnston apologizes to the Palins"
Palin's "put the screws on Levi": "Palinland" is as secretive as North Korea, says Andrew Sullivan in The Atlantic, but it sounds like a "panicked" Sarah Palin is holding a "metaphorical gun" to Johnston's head, using his access to Tripp as a "weapon" to keep him from talking to neighboring biographer Joe McGinniss, or other inquiring minds. How else to explain not only the apology, but also his threats to disown his own sister if she doesn't keep quiet?
"Something is happening in Palinland"
He realized he was a media pawn: The explanation is pretty simple: Johnston "lied" about the Palins, says Don Surber in the Charleston, W.V., Daily Mail, and now he's grown up enough to apologize. That's more than we can say about certain media "goons" who paraded this "jock from a troubled family with a big chip on his shoulder" around just to "get back at Sarah Palin."
"Palin gets an apology"
He was going through spotlight withdrawal: "It's nice to think that Levi finally got contemplative about the damage his comments may have caused," says Josh Duboff in New York Magazine, but it's more likely that it's just been "far too long since he had snared headlines," and he knew an apology would spawn juicy ones. That, or he thinks the gesture is "totally going to help win back his old girlfriend."
"Levi Johnston apologizes to Sarah Palin"
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why you should stop believing in evolution
- How Israel's hawks intimidated and silenced the last remnants of the anti-war left
- The secret to handling pressure like astronauts, Navy SEALs, and samurai
- Why your employer should clean your house and do your laundry
- Why China thinks it could defeat the U.S. in battle
- Welcome to the age of ambivalent feminism
- The big policy question libertarians can't answer
- What you need to know before you support the police in Ferguson
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
Subscribe to the Week