A video has surfaced of Faisal Shahzad, prior to his failed attempt to bomb Times Square, explaining why he wants to kill Americans. "This attack on the United States will be a revenge attack" for the deaths of Islamic fighters and "weak and oppressed" Muslims everywhere, Shahzad says while clutching an assault rifle in his left hand. First aired on Dubai's Al Arabiya satellite network, the video also shows the convicted terrorist hiking with Taliban leaders in the mountains of Pakistan. "Tapes like these are usually meant to send a political message," says Liam Stack at the Christian Science Monitor. The Taliban may be "showing off Shahzad" to prove that it can attack the US at will. But all the video showcases is Shahzad's cowardice, says James Gordon Meek at the New York Daily News. After all, he "was supposed to blow himself up" — instead, he "set a timer, slithered away and expected to hear the deadly boom from a safe distance." Call it "martyr-dumb." Watch key segments of the video:
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- America created the Islamic State of Iraq and Syria? Meet the ISIS 'truthers'
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- The Obama era is over. The presidency continues.
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- Why the West should let Russia have eastern Ukraine
- How Harry Houdini escaped death
- The 10 best networking tips for people who hate networking
- What is Molly? Everything you need to know about the party drug
- On ISIS, neocons and liberal hawks have a 'boy who cried wolf' problem
- How American businessmen are ruining American business — and the U.S. economy
Subscribe to the Week