A video has surfaced of Faisal Shahzad, prior to his failed attempt to bomb Times Square, explaining why he wants to kill Americans. "This attack on the United States will be a revenge attack" for the deaths of Islamic fighters and "weak and oppressed" Muslims everywhere, Shahzad says while clutching an assault rifle in his left hand. First aired on Dubai's Al Arabiya satellite network, the video also shows the convicted terrorist hiking with Taliban leaders in the mountains of Pakistan. "Tapes like these are usually meant to send a political message," says Liam Stack at the Christian Science Monitor. The Taliban may be "showing off Shahzad" to prove that it can attack the US at will. But all the video showcases is Shahzad's cowardice, says James Gordon Meek at the New York Daily News. After all, he "was supposed to blow himself up" — instead, he "set a timer, slithered away and expected to hear the deadly boom from a safe distance." Call it "martyr-dumb." Watch key segments of the video:
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- How the South's ugly racial history is haunting ObamaCare
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- The real story behind Deliver Us From Evil
- If Democrats abandon immigration reform after Tuesday's likely loss, they will turn 2016 into a debacle
- What if Leo Strauss was right?
- Stop making fun of philosophy and read some philosophy
- Beware of Splenda: The backlash against artificial sugars
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- The culture war finally comes to the Catholic Church
Subscribe to the Week