The classic MTV cartoon series "Beavis and Butt-head" will likely be revived, reports New York Post. While the network has no official comment — created by Mike Judge, the iconic show ran from 1993 to 1997 — sources say that the characters will be exactly as they were in the original, except the duo's snarky zingers will be aimed at today's popular culture. Would the young slackers still be relevant in 2010? (Watch a clip from the original series)
Now here's a show worth revisiting: I couldn't be more "stoked" about the new episodes of "Beavis and Butt-head," says Hannah Lawrence at Hollywood.com. I'll get to savor the duo's amusing grossness — "sweat stains," "nose hairs," and all the rest — from an adult vantage point. It's a perfect timing to win over a new generation of fans.
"'Beavis and Butt-head' return to MTV"
Actually, "Beavis and Butt-head" hits too close to home: During the economic boom of the 90s, it was "hilarious to watch unmotivated teenagers... watch TV, eat crap and relentlessly talk about scoring with chicks," says Carmel Lobello at Death and Taxes. But times have changed, and "in the midst of a gloomy recession" it's harder to find humor in the antics of slackers.
"Heh Heh, 'Beavis and Butt-head' return to MTV"
"Beavis and Butt-head" is too classic to fail: There aren't that many "gloriously stupid" yet "subtly profound" shows out there, says Kate Wharmby Seldman at Opposing Views. "Beavis and Butt-head" once encapsulated the entire teenage experience: Beavis' "cool," yet "dour" demeanor, Butt-head's "less inhibited, more creative" and ultimately more fun attitude offer a timeless portrait of the "teenage-boy friendship dynamic." That should be enough to keep the show relevant.
"Can new 'Beavis and Butt-head' duplicate 90s success?"
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 10 things you need to know today: September 2, 2014
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- The Obama era is over. The presidency continues.
- How American businessmen are ruining American business — and the U.S. economy
- Scottish independence is another financial crisis waiting to happen
- America created the Islamic State of Iraq and Syria? Meet the ISIS 'truthers'
- Fall movie guide: All the films you should see in September
- The 10 best networking tips for people who hate networking
- 11 scientific studies that will restore your faith in humanity
- Why the West should let Russia have eastern Ukraine
Subscribe to the Week