Hip-hop superstar Lil Wayne — real name: Dwayne Carter — is currently serving time at New York's infamous Rikers Island prison on drugs and weapons charges. But, based on media reports and the 27-year-old rapper's own account of his life behind bars, life on the inside isn't all bad for a pop culture icon. Here's a numerical look at Wayne's incarceration:
Duration, in months, of Lil Wayne's prison sentence at Rikers Island for illegally possessing a handgun
Caliber of the loaded semiautomatic pistol that Lil Wayne tried to hide in a Louis Vuitton knapsack when police entered his "pot smoke infused" tour bus in 2007
Number of months Wayne will actually serve, if he remains on good behavior
Minimum number of times Rikers guards have busted Lil Wayne for possession of "contraband," including headphones and a charger for an Mp3 player
Hour at which Lil Wayne wakes up each day. According to the rapper, his prison routine consists mostly of talking on the phone to his kids and "wonderful mother," reading fan mail, doing "pushups," listening to ESPN radio and reading the Bible
Length, in seconds, of the vocal solo Lil Wayne recorded over the phone, from jail, for Canadian rap artist Drake, one of his musical protegés
Approximate number of Facebook users who "like" Wayne's personal website, Weezythanxyou.com. The site is regularly updated with letters the rapper sends from Rikers.
Number of fans Lil Wayne thanks, individually and by name, in his most recent letter
Number of days left in his jail stint, as of July 16
Number of years probation Lil Wayne must serve following his release from prison as a result of a separate 2008 bust, in which U.S. Border Patrol officers in Yuma, AZ, found drug paraphernalia, marijuana, cocaine, ecstasy and a registered handgun on his tour bus
Sum concert production company RMF Productions sought to recoup from Wayne after he cancelled a series of concerts scheduled during his incarceration
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 13 deliciously garlicky dishes for summer
- How a degree from Duke University dashed my dreams of buying a home
- This is why you can't trust the NSA. Ever.
- The best online movies to watch this weekend
- Half the world's population lives in these 6 countries
- Four annoying sounds you need to stop making
- Why you should stop believing in evolution
- Innocent before proven guilty? The bizarre bipartisan rush to clear Rick Perry
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- 10 things you need to know today: August 23, 2014
Subscribe to the Week