NBC and CBS have rejected an ad produced by the National Republican Trust PAC that condemns plans to build a mosque near Manhattan's Ground Zero. Using shocking images of the 9/11 attacks on the World Trade Center, the ad, titled "Kill the Ground Zero Mosque," avers that "they" want to "build a monstrous 13-story mosque at Ground Zero" to "celebrate the murder of 3,000 Americans" — without clarifying whether "they" refers to terrorists or the Muslims seeking to build the mosque. Ignore this "stunt," says Greg Sargent in The Washington Post. The ad is "so inflammatory" the PAC most likely made it simply to get "free press attention." If you ask me, says Frank Ross in Big Journalism, "conflating Islamic extremists with those behind the Ground Zero mosque" is precisely the "right" response to the latter's outrageous proposal. The real outrage, says Jim Newell in Gawker, is that this "disgusting ad" has prompted people to give money to the PAC. Watch the disputed commercial below:
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Syrian women know how to defeat ISIS
- The U.S. Marines are developing laser weapons. Here's why.
- The one thing the New Atheists get right about religion
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Will Kobani be ISIS's Waterloo?
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- 5 baffling foreign-language versions of the Fresh Prince of Bel-Air theme song
- How to make corn dogs
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- Bob Odenkirk's 6 favorite books
Subscribe to the Week