NBC and CBS have rejected an ad produced by the National Republican Trust PAC that condemns plans to build a mosque near Manhattan's Ground Zero. Using shocking images of the 9/11 attacks on the World Trade Center, the ad, titled "Kill the Ground Zero Mosque," avers that "they" want to "build a monstrous 13-story mosque at Ground Zero" to "celebrate the murder of 3,000 Americans" — without clarifying whether "they" refers to terrorists or the Muslims seeking to build the mosque. Ignore this "stunt," says Greg Sargent in The Washington Post. The ad is "so inflammatory" the PAC most likely made it simply to get "free press attention." If you ask me, says Frank Ross in Big Journalism, "conflating Islamic extremists with those behind the Ground Zero mosque" is precisely the "right" response to the latter's outrageous proposal. The real outrage, says Jim Newell in Gawker, is that this "disgusting ad" has prompted people to give money to the PAC. Watch the disputed commercial below:
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- After Ferguson: Stop deferring to the cops
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- Ferguson riots were terrible — but this racist reaction was worse
- The hilarious hypocrisy of Republicans complaining about the imperial presidency
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- Is it now OK to have sex with animals?
- Don't blame Chuck Hagel: Obama's foreign policy has been a disaster from end to end
- 10 classic Sesame Street moments we wouldn't show today's kids
- How to be charismatic, according to science
Subscribe to the Week