Arizona's controversial new immigration law calls for local law enforcement to fight illegal immigration, but apparently local neo-Nazis want in on the action, too. Jason "J.T." Ready, 37 — who claims ties to the white supremacist National Socialist Movement — and his group are reportedly roaming the Arizona border area in full military get-up, searching for Mexican border-crossers. Ready has a criminal record, was kicked out of the Marines (twice) and "has swallowed whole and fully digested the rhetoric of the right-wing lunatic fringe," says Stephen Lemons in the Phoenix New Times. So "the idea of him running around the desert with a high-powered rifle on the hunt for 'narco-terrorists' is not a comforting one, to say the least." A band of "untrained yahoos" with guns will make things harder for legitimate law officers, says E.J. Montini in The Arizona Republic. But "this is what we get for lack of federal action." Watch "J.T." threaten to kill Mexican "narco-terrorists" below:
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Syrian women know how to defeat ISIS
- Will Kobani be ISIS's Waterloo?
- The one thing the New Atheists get right about religion
- The U.S. Marines are developing laser weapons. Here's why.
- 3 horrific inaccuracies in Homeland's depiction of Islamabad
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- 10 things you need to know today: October 21, 2014
- Paul Krugman, Amazon, and the left's backwards view of book-industry titans
- Gamergate has backfired spectacularly on its nincompoop perpetrators
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
Subscribe to the Week