Arizona's controversial new immigration law calls for local law enforcement to fight illegal immigration, but apparently local neo-Nazis want in on the action, too. Jason "J.T." Ready, 37 — who claims ties to the white supremacist National Socialist Movement — and his group are reportedly roaming the Arizona border area in full military get-up, searching for Mexican border-crossers. Ready has a criminal record, was kicked out of the Marines (twice) and "has swallowed whole and fully digested the rhetoric of the right-wing lunatic fringe," says Stephen Lemons in the Phoenix New Times. So "the idea of him running around the desert with a high-powered rifle on the hunt for 'narco-terrorists' is not a comforting one, to say the least." A band of "untrained yahoos" with guns will make things harder for legitimate law officers, says E.J. Montini in The Arizona Republic. But "this is what we get for lack of federal action." Watch "J.T." threaten to kill Mexican "narco-terrorists" below:
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- How liberals are unwittingly paving the way for the legalization of adult incest
- How the Simpsons/Family Guy crossover revealed the worst of both shows
- Watch out, China — America is working on dogfighting drones
- Why you probably don't have Ebola — even if you shook hands with America's 'patient zero'
- Ted Cruz is the new Sarah Palin
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- Libertarianism's terrible, horrible, no good, very bad idea
- Why America won't have enough money to battle ISIS
Subscribe to the Week