A Spanish farmer who received the world's first full face transplant four months ago made his first public appearance yesterday. Years after "Oscar" (his real name has been suppressed) severely damaged his looks and respiratory system by accidentally shooting himself in the face, doctors grafted skin from a brain-dead donor, plus a new jaw, nose, cheekbones, muscles, teeth and eyelids onto the 31-year-old man. While still bloated from the surgery, he can eat, drink, and talk — and, in what doctors call a "good sign," has been shaving his new face's beard, where stubble has sprouted. At the press conference, Oscar said he wanted to "thank the surgeons and the donors," and added that he was looking forward to tasting his favorite lamb dish and going for a beer with friends. Watch the video here:
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Syrian women know how to defeat ISIS
- 3 horrific inaccuracies in Homeland's depiction of Islamabad
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- The U.S. Marines are developing laser weapons. Here's why.
- The one thing the New Atheists get right about religion
- 5 baffling foreign-language versions of the Fresh Prince of Bel-Air theme song
- Will Kobani be ISIS's Waterloo?
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- Briefing: Offshore drilling and the environment
Subscribe to the Week