Spanish farmer who received the world's first full face transplant four months ago made his first public appearance yesterday. Years after "Oscar" (his real name has been suppressed) severely damaged his looks and respiratory system by accidentally shooting himself in the face, doctors grafted skin from a brain-dead donor, plus a new jaw, nose, cheekbones, muscles, teeth and eyelids onto the 31-year-old man. While still bloated from the surgery, he can eat, drink, and talk — and, in what doctors call a "good sign," has been shaving his new face's beard, where stubble has sprouted. At the press conference, Oscar said he wanted to "thank the surgeons and the donors," and added that he was looking forward to tasting his favorite lamb dish and going for a beer with friends. Watch the video here:
- How to make people like you: 6 science-based conversation hacks
- The Black Death is back
- Diagnosing the Home Alone burglars' injuries: A professional weighs in
- Watch Fox News' Megyn Kelly claim Santa, like Jesus, is a white guy
- Cul-de-sacs are killing America
- The lingering mystery of the 1964 World's Fair
- How does chocolate milk stack up as a sports drink?
- The toughest question for 2016 Democratic presidential candidates
- Instagram might be ruining our memories. Here's why that's a good thing.
- 10 things you need to know today: December 12, 2013
Subscribe to the Week