A Spanish farmer who received the world's first full face transplant four months ago made his first public appearance yesterday. Years after "Oscar" (his real name has been suppressed) severely damaged his looks and respiratory system by accidentally shooting himself in the face, doctors grafted skin from a brain-dead donor, plus a new jaw, nose, cheekbones, muscles, teeth and eyelids onto the 31-year-old man. While still bloated from the surgery, he can eat, drink, and talk — and, in what doctors call a "good sign," has been shaving his new face's beard, where stubble has sprouted. At the press conference, Oscar said he wanted to "thank the surgeons and the donors," and added that he was looking forward to tasting his favorite lamb dish and going for a beer with friends. Watch the video here:
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- How the South's ugly racial history is haunting ObamaCare
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- The real story behind Deliver Us From Evil
- What if Leo Strauss was right?
- If Democrats abandon immigration reform after Tuesday's likely loss, they will turn 2016 into a debacle
- Stop making fun of philosophy and read some philosophy
- Beware of Splenda: The backlash against artificial sugars
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- The culture war finally comes to the Catholic Church
Subscribe to the Week