A Spanish farmer who received the world's first full face transplant four months ago made his first public appearance yesterday. Years after "Oscar" (his real name has been suppressed) severely damaged his looks and respiratory system by accidentally shooting himself in the face, doctors grafted skin from a brain-dead donor, plus a new jaw, nose, cheekbones, muscles, teeth and eyelids onto the 31-year-old man. While still bloated from the surgery, he can eat, drink, and talk — and, in what doctors call a "good sign," has been shaving his new face's beard, where stubble has sprouted. At the press conference, Oscar said he wanted to "thank the surgeons and the donors," and added that he was looking forward to tasting his favorite lamb dish and going for a beer with friends. Watch the video here:
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- How I lost all my money
- Diagnosing the Home Alone burglars' injuries: A professional weighs in
- How academia's liberal bias is killing social science
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Why Pakistan won't hunt down the terrorists within its borders
- How to make the ultimate grilled cheese
- A brief history of the Christmas present
- George W. Bush 'ran the country like a cable network,' and other political insights from Chris Rock
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
Subscribe to the Week