Spanish farmer who received the world's first full face transplant four months ago made his first public appearance yesterday. Years after "Oscar" (his real name has been suppressed) severely damaged his looks and respiratory system by accidentally shooting himself in the face, doctors grafted skin from a brain-dead donor, plus a new jaw, nose, cheekbones, muscles, teeth and eyelids onto the 31-year-old man. While still bloated from the surgery, he can eat, drink, and talk — and, in what doctors call a "good sign," has been shaving his new face's beard, where stubble has sprouted. At the press conference, Oscar said he wanted to "thank the surgeons and the donors," and added that he was looking forward to tasting his favorite lamb dish and going for a beer with friends. Watch the video here:
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why is American internet so slow?
- 7 ways to be the most interesting person in any room
- What the collapse of the Ming Dynasty can tell us about American decline
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Colorado’s new ‘drive high, get a DUI’ commercials are actually pretty clever
- 22 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Ukraine's fraught relationship with Russia: A brief history
- Who are the real gay marriage bigots?
- Sorry Belle Knox, porn still oppresses women
- SNL tackles Vladimir Putin's Ukraine invasion, politically and personally
Subscribe to the Week