We have entered the era of Snooki-gate. Appearing on "The View" yesterday, the president claimed unfamiliarity with the diminutive "Jersey Shore" star while being grilled on pop trivia by host Joy Behar, saying sheepishly, "I gotta admit, I don't know who Snooki is." But, last May at the White House Press Correspondents Dinner, Obama seemed well-briefed on Snooki, joking about a special provision in the health care bill's that would exempt her from the "tanning tax." Was Obama feigning elitist ignorance on "The View," or he just reading his lines at the correspondents dinner? "America demands an answer," says Maureen O'Connor in Gawker. "Clearly, this is the Watergate of our time." "I await the naming of a special prosecutor," quips James Poniewozik in Time. Watch the respective videos below:
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- How U.S. special forces are preparing for the worst-case scenario in North Korea
- Why you shouldn't eat dog. Not even once.
- Why Israel can no longer let the Palestinian Authority be responsible for security in the West Bank
- Why you should really take a nap this afternoon, according to science
- Here's the schedule very successful people follow every day
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- Grammar quiz: Do you know the passive voice?
- How social conservatives became a minority in need of protection
- The safest seats are at the back of the plane — and 5 other surprising facts about airline crashes
Subscribe to the Week