We have entered the era of Snooki-gate. Appearing on "The View" yesterday, the president claimed unfamiliarity with the diminutive "Jersey Shore" star while being grilled on pop trivia by host Joy Behar, saying sheepishly, "I gotta admit, I don't know who Snooki is." But, last May at the White House Press Correspondents Dinner, Obama seemed well-briefed on Snooki, joking about a special provision in the health care bill's that would exempt her from the "tanning tax." Was Obama feigning elitist ignorance on "The View," or he just reading his lines at the correspondents dinner? "America demands an answer," says Maureen O'Connor in Gawker. "Clearly, this is the Watergate of our time." "I await the naming of a special prosecutor," quips James Poniewozik in Time. Watch the respective videos below:
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- How academia's liberal bias is killing social science
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- Why the Sony hack changes everything
- Alien conspiracy theorists think the government is on the verge of spilling big secrets
- Why torture doesn't work: A definitive guide
- You should be furious about Hollywood's gutless retreat on The Interview
- Hey, bosses: Stop giving bonuses to your employees
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
When Americans banned Christmas
Subscribe to the Week