Bristol Palin's happy reunion with Levi Johnston, the father of her child, has soured just weeks after the couple announced their second engagement. Johnston had been accused of fathering a baby with another teenage girl, but Palin said the relationship broke down because of his craving for publicity. "He's just obsessed with the limelight and I got played," said Palin. Some commentators, however, suspect darker motives. What's the truth behind this on-again-off-again couple? (Watch an AP report about the couple's broken engagement)
It was all a publicity stunt: "I so wanted to believe" in this, says Jonathan Capeheart at The Washington Post. But this news proves the whole re-engagement was a "made-for-magazines extravaganza" designed to give them "another spin on the hamster wheel of D-List fame." Does no one believe in romance anymore?
"'I got played' by Bristol Palin and Levi Johnston"
It's Johnston's fault: What an "idiot" Levi Johnston is, says Da Tech Guy at his blog. After finally persuading Bristol to take him back so he could have a "proper relationship with [his] child," he has blown it again. Second chances are a rare thing. "There is nothing so frustrating than to see someone waste theirs."
"If Levi Johnston was my son..."
It was a money-making scheme: This "Wasilla version of 'The Hills'" just goes on and on, says AllahPundit at Hot Air. But look at the numbers: The re-engagement announcement in US Magazine netted the couple a reported $100,000, and now Palin has run to People to give them a "break up exclusive" for, presumably, another large fee. "I have the strangest feeling that we've been played here."
"Bristol Palin: It's over between me and Levi"
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- The science of sex: 4 harsh truths about dating and mating
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- How our botched understanding of 'science' ruins everything
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- California's epic drought
- Russia is stealthily threatening America with nuclear war
- Why so many Christians won't back down on gay marriage
- 13 Urban Outfitters controversies
Subscribe to the Week