Evidence shows that "more young children are killed by parental smoking than by all unintentional injuries combined," says prominent British physician Steve Field in the Guardian. Because of this, "I believe that parents who smoke in cars carrying small children are committing a form of child abuse." The same goes for mothers who smoke "while pregnant." I know you don't want to hear this, smokers, Field writes, but "you need to face facts and take responsibility" — it could save your children's lives, and your own. Here, an excerpt:
Too many people do not face up to the hard facts, as they perceive them to be an attack aimed, in particular at the poorer members of our society. But it is impossible to argue on medical or ethical grounds that such behaviour is acceptable. [Doctors] are not spoilsports. We genuinely want people to be able to live healthy, fulfilling and productive lives. But every day we are confronted with the harm caused by smoking, excessive alcohol consumption and obesity....
Ask a parent to give up smoking and they might refuse – but demonstrate how smoking at home will damage their children's lungs, leading to bronchial illness, asthma and a lifetime of ill health and they might start to see things differently. Similarly, drinkers who are confronted with the reality of their consumption might be spurred into cutting down rather than if they were just told to do it.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- Obama just kneecapped Jeb Bush and Chris Christie's 2016 prospects
- It's official: The religious right is calling it quits
- Why insects are the future of food
- 10 classic Sesame Street moments we wouldn't show today's kids
- Alien conspiracy theorists think the government is on the verge of spilling big secrets
- The super-rich are just as miserable as the rest of us
- The Hunger Games: Mockingjay — Part 1: 10 major differences between the book and the movie
- The dangerously childish morality of liberal ObamaCare supporters
Subscribe to the Week