Adding fuel to the controversy over the proposed Ground Zero mosque, mischievous Fox News host Greg Gutfeld has declared his own plan to build a gay bar catering to Muslims next to the Islamic center. Gutfeld claims he's opening the night spot to "reduce deadly homophobia in the Islamic world," and hopes the mosque's supporters will show the same tolerance toward his bar that they've demanded from their critics, who say the mosque's location is insensitive to victims of the 9-11 attacks. Crass publicity stunt — or is Gutfeld making a legitimate point? (Watch Gutfeld's announcement)
Gutfeld's proving the mosque backers are the intolerant ones: The people behind the Park 51 mosque have no problem trampling "the sensibilities of the families of the victims of 9-11," says Robert Spencer at Jihad Watch. But the minute they heard about Gutfeld's gay bar they complained, via Twitter, that he's offending "the sensibilities of Muslims." What hypocrites.
"Islamic supremacist Ground Zero mega-mosque organizers whine that Gutfeld's gay bar doesn't 'consider the sensibilities of Muslims'"
It's a pathetic publicity stunt that fell flat: Laugh if you must at Gutfeld's obvious "PR stunt," says Eric Boehlert at Media Matters, but it would only work "if Islamic Center supporters react as insanely" as those who view their proposal as "an act of war." Instead, the pro-mosque contingent reacted perfectly reasonably — pointing out that Gutfeld's provocative jab wouldn't build any bridges, while allowing that he's "free to open whatever [he likes]."
"Greg Gutfeld's gay bar fail"
Let's unroll this concept nationwide: What a "fantastic idea" to follow up "an expression of religious freedom" with an "expression of freedom for gay people as well," says Andrew Sullivan in The Atlantic. In fact, it's such a great idea that it could be followed across the country," by building "gay bars right next to churches and mosques that condemn homosexuality."
"Name that bar!"
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 7 things the world's happiest people do every day
- Israel has only two choices: Eliminate the Palestinians or make peace
- Why are so many parents being arrested?
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- 9 things you probably didn't know about the moon
- Why America is duty-bound to help Iraqi Christians
- 10 things you need to know today: July 22, 2014
- 29 adorable slang terms for sex (from the last 600 years)
- The biggest lesson Obama failed to learn from Bush
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
Subscribe to the Week