verybody's talking about Steven Slater, the JetBlue flight attendant who slid off a grounded plane in a rage after inflating its emergency evacuation slide. While Slater has earned pop notoriety and "folk hero" status, what he really needs, says Dr. Keith Ablow at Fox News, is a "complete psychiatric evaluation" and a stint in either jail or a mental-health facility. Flight attendants "are supposed to respect the safety equipment that might save lives one day, not deploy it in a narcissistic rant" (reportedly triggered by a confrontation with a passenger over her carry-on bags). With his melodramatic exit, Slater "showed reckless disregard for everything and everyone, except serving his own ego and rage." He should now pay the price for it. Here, an excerpt:
If we want to be a nation of children who act out for the camera — frustrated bank tellers who might decide to throw bags of money in the street, angry waiters who decide to pour water on patrons, bus drivers who abandon their routes and climb to roofs of their buses to enjoy some cold beer and give the finger to anxious parents — then we'd better understand what we are abandoning. It's not the America I know where people have always doubled down in their willingness to work harder, be kinder and find a way to stay aboard, not bail out.
Send Steven Slater to prison. Let our kids see that when adults act outrageously, they get time outs, just like they do. But for adults, it's called going to jail.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why China's Communist Party is headed for collapse
- How to make perfect fried rice in 6 easy steps
- Obama doesn't have a manhood problem — but conservatives certainly do
- Why Antonin Scalia was right to defend a drug dealer
- He said he was leaving. She ignored him.
- 31 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Why we need a maximum wage
- 10 things you need to know today: April 23, 2014
- Why Mindy Kaling — not Lena Dunham — is the body positive icon of the moment
- Why atheism doesn't have the upper hand over religion
Subscribe to the Week