Conservative radio host Dr. Laura Schlessinger faced a torrent of criticism this week after using the word "n****r" 11 times on her radio show in the course of lecturing a caller — a black woman who'd been on the receiving end of the epithet from her white in-laws — about the dangers of being hypersensitive to racism. Schlessinger promptly issued an apology on her website, writing: "I didn’t intend to hurt people, but I did." Nice try, but an apology doesn't come close to compensating for a "racist tirade" that was completely "over the top" and "devoid of decency," says Steve Benen at Washington Monthly. She deserves to lose her job. Oh, come on, says the conservative Left Coast Rebel blog. "From the sound of it, you would think that the leftists" had linked Dr. Laura to Hitler and the KKK. She made a "stupid" choice of words — but her real "unspeakable" offense was "pointing out the fact that liberals and black people use the 'N' word and are never called out on it." Listen to the exchange below: (Warning: Offensive language)
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Russia is stealthily threatening America with nuclear war
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- The science of sex: 4 harsh truths about dating and mating
- 13 Urban Outfitters controversies
- What political elites don't understand about Scotland's push for independence
- Why you should stop believing in evolution
- Do you need to be crazy to be the best?
- Why gay people of color are still losing
- Can we lead spiritually fulfilling lives without religion?
Subscribe to the Week