Tyra Banks has issued an apology over a trailer for the new season of "America's Next Top Model" featuring an aspiring model with an alarmingly thin frame. In the clip, Banks and her fellow judges fawn over the girl. "There's something about her that I like!" Banks squeals. The outcry that followed prompted Banks to explain in People that the clip had been edited without her oversight. The sound bite "sounded like I was supporting unhealthy eating habits," she says. "I am and will always be committed to promoting healthy body image." But so what if Banks sincerely liked Ann's body, says Ashley Bond in Chicago Now. "All sizes means thin women" as well as larger women. At the very least, says Amy Odell at New York Magazine, we now know that Banks will stick with a project, even "when the internet makes a negative fuss." Watch the controversial promo below:
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why all drugs should be legal. (Yes, even heroin.)
- 7 ideas from ancient thinkers that will improve your modern life
- Why you should really take a nap this afternoon, according to science
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Here's the schedule very successful people follow every day
- Comic-Con 2014: Everything we learned about Avengers 2, Batman v. Superman, and more
- The forgotten victims of the war in Ukraine
- The big, gaping hole in the liberal policy arsenal
- Are there too many good shows on television?
- Blame Obama and U.S. evangelicals for the persecution of Iraqi Christians
Subscribe to the Week