Tyra Banks has issued an apology over a trailer for the new season of "America's Next Top Model" featuring an aspiring model with an alarmingly thin frame. In the clip, Banks and her fellow judges fawn over the girl. "There's something about her that I like!" Banks squeals. The outcry that followed prompted Banks to explain in People that the clip had been edited without her oversight. The sound bite "sounded like I was supporting unhealthy eating habits," she says. "I am and will always be committed to promoting healthy body image." But so what if Banks sincerely liked Ann's body, says Ashley Bond in Chicago Now. "All sizes means thin women" as well as larger women. At the very least, says Amy Odell at New York Magazine, we now know that Banks will stick with a project, even "when the internet makes a negative fuss." Watch the controversial promo below:
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Syrian women know how to defeat ISIS
- 10 things you need to know today: October 22, 2014
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- The one thing the New Atheists get right about religion
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- The U.S. Marines are developing laser weapons. Here's why.
- Secret Service stretched mission to protect employee, report finds
- 3 horrific inaccuracies in Homeland's depiction of Islamabad
- How to make corn dogs
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
Subscribe to the Week