bull injured 40 people in northern Spain this week when it leapt from the ring into a crowded grandstand after being provoked by the crowd. The 1,100-pound animal was eventually subdued by professional bull handlers and killed. The incident came just weeks after Catalonia became Spain's first region to ban bullfighting, though the event took place in the Navarra region. What did you expect would happen? asks Jennifer O'Connor of People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals in Opposing Views. This is what a bull does when it's "subjected to constant goading" by "crowds of screaming people." Thank goodness "bullfighting is on the way out." It's bad enough that an innocent animal is killed, says David Solar at Bleacher Report, but the risk to spectators on evidence here is "just another reason to ban this primitive exhibition." Watch a video of the bull rampage below:
- 4 secret societies you probably don't know about
- This is the twistiest tongue twister ever, says science
- Here's how crazy-long German words are made
- Did God have a wife?
- Why Newt Gingrich is getting flak for defending Nelson Mandela
- 32 TV shows to watch in 2013 [Updated]
- Battle in a blizzard
- 7 health benefits of playing video games
- The secrets of happy families
- Which professions have the most psychopaths?
Subscribe to the Week